·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im debating the cost to benefit for this setup

MM hybrid steering shaft
Brand new 03 Cobra steering rack
some different tie rods etc etc

how is the steering response and feel compared to a stock fox steering setup with an MM steering shaft?

is this worth it? or can this wait?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Have you driven with the MM k yet? once I put that on my steering became ridiculously over assisted. While I have not tried a cobra rack it is certainly an area that needs attention.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the thing im going to do the MM k soon, so i figured while im down there i might as well do the 03 cobra rack

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
apparently ordering a new 03 rack is hit or miss... some companies just rebuild gt racks and ship them as cobra racks... best advice i got was buying used off of a wrecked cobra

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
No manual steering gonna happen on my junk. I am already fatigued in long races to the point where my "mental" begins to slip.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just texted the guy selling em, Gonna pick one up next week

·
Registered
456 Posts
im debating the cost to benefit for this setup

MM hybrid steering shaft
Brand new 03 Cobra steering rack
some different tie rods etc etc

how is the steering response and feel compared to a stock fox steering setup with an MM steering shaft?

is this worth it? or can this wait?
I have this set-up plus the MM power steering kit and it is miles better than stock. Its a pricey mod but well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know 650 bucks for that mm ps pump. Fck me sideways!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a small dead spot in the steering just off centre and I have had 2 different racks in there after I got the MM PS kit installed so I have to investigate that. Its not very noticeable but it is not totally perfect.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What power steering fluid are you suppose to use when you change to a cobra rack? Leave it type f or mecron?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ha! have u lost control yet at high speeds? how are u supposed to count steer that beast with manual steering?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Manual rack is just fine at speeds, once the car is rolling the steering becomes much lighter. Having said that, just because something will work great during one part of driving does not mean that I'd be willing to deal with it every day. Kinda same way dumps sound great ever once in a while, does not mean that I want to drive the car around all day with stupid loud exhaust or have gas fumes in the cabin. There is always a limit to how much I'm willing to put up with before the car becomes annoying and unpleasant to drive. Manual steering is far beyond that limit

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
manual vs power steering has nothing to do with how much strength or your limits of bs are but rather the simple fact that your response time with manual steering is significantly less and hence it's best left for regular street and drag racing applications. not rr.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ha! have u lost control yet at high speeds? how are u supposed to count steer that beast with manual steering?
By using your upper body strength and turning the wheel? :leghump:

Usually when I race I have 2 hands on the wheel... not 2 fingers like you can with power steering.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just installed an 03 Cobra rack, MM hybrid shaft and pulled the non tilt airbag column and installed an 89 model tilt. Excellent upgrade! Does not feel over assisted as before. Seems as if I have better control. I would recommend this upgrade before many others I have done!

Barry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts