Ford Mustang Forums banner

Any of you with an 18x10 in the rear?

927 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  PGreenSVT 
#1 ·
If so:

1. What's your suspension set up?
2. Notice any handling changes from old rim (17x8, 17x9, etc)
3. Recommend, not?

This would be considered for a pure street car that would see no track time.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I changed from stock v6 rims and regular street tires to 18 X 9 in the front and 18X 10 in the back.

Tires are 265 35 18 front
305 30 18 back

R compound V 700 kumho race tires

Suspension mods as follows

Steeda sport springs
Tokico illuminas(5 was adjustable) struts and shocks
Front Steeda strut tower brace
Steeda Caster Camber
Steeda x2 ball joints
Steeda Bumpsteer kit
Steeda Adjustable rear swaybar
Steeda Full length zinc plated Subframe connectors
Urethane bushings in front end and steering rack(offset)

Of course handling wise I got a huge improvment in grip, but i was starting with probably the worst possible combination:)

Ride wise the tiny sidewalls makes it so you feel every road imperfection. I can feel the painted lines on the road :(

But i built the car to autocross not to drive cross country :)

Stan

#3 ·
san~man said:
This would be considered for a pure street car that would see no track time.

Thanks.
Then you might have more luck asking in the Wheels and Tires forum rather than the Road Racing/Auto-x forum. Just a suggestion... (and no, I have nothing productive to add to the thread).

#4 ·
Last month I bought new wheels and tires....I now have FR500 18x10 rears with 295/35s...fronts are 275/35s on 18x9. I went with the new BFG G-Force KDW2s. I was running 17x9s ('95 Cobra Rs) and Yok A032R auto-x tires.

I have the Griggs GR-40 suspension, and handling on the street is as good or the same re: 17s vs 18s, but it's very hard for me to push my car to the limits on the street without risking jail, life, or limb. I didn't have any straightline traction problems before, and I don't now either (290rwhp, 300rwtq).

I upgraded b/c I was tired of riding around on those rough/noisy Yok A032R track tires. I've now retired them from the street and they'll be used for open tracking events only. Ride quality is better with the 18s than my 17" setup.

#6 ·
Are you changing tire size as well? What size wheels and tires on the front? Generally, if you add grip to the rear with more tire and wheel, you're going to exaggerate the understeer the car already has. Unless of course you make suspension changes to compensate for it.

cheers
Ed N.

#7 · (Edited)
Patrick Olsen said:
Then you might have more luck asking in the Wheels and Tires forum rather than the Road Racing/Auto-x forum. Just a suggestion... (and no, I have nothing productive to add to the thread).
Well, when I stated "pure street car," I meant a car that would drive on the street only and not see any auto-x. It doesn't mean that I'm all a "all show no go" type car. I want it to handle on the street in real world situations. I don't want the suspension and handling to degrade any further than before due to the larger rear rim. I also drive "spirited" more often then not (you know what I mean) so I need it to handle well on the freeway etc...

viper stang said:
Last month I bought new wheels and tires....I now have FR500 18x10 rears with 295/35s...fronts are 275/35s on 18x9. I went with the new BFG G-Force KDW2s. I was running 17x9s ('95 Cobra Rs) and Yok A032R auto-x tires.

I have the Griggs GR-40 suspension, and handling on the street is as good or the same re: 17s vs 18s, but it's very hard for me to push my car to the limits on the street without risking jail, life, or limb. I didn't have any straightline traction problems before, and I don't now either (290rwhp, 300rwtq).

I upgraded b/c I was tired of riding around on those rough/noisy Yok A032R track tires. I've now retired them from the street and they'll be used for open tracking events only. Ride quality is better with the 18s than my 17" setup.
That's more along the lines of the type of answer I was seeking. Thanks vstang.

Those are the exact wheels I was considering (except I wanted black or chrome) and your answer was very informative.

My Potenzas are starting to run thin after only 7 months so I need to start considering my options now. I also have to install the PHB and see how the rear end acts then. Hopefully it will be enough and won't require the TA too.

Thanks again all...

#10 ·
san~man said:
Well, when I stated "pure street car," I meant a car that would drive on the street only and not see any auto-x. It doesn't mean that I'm all a "all show no go" type car.
That's not at all what I was trying to say. I just know there are a couple threads in the Wheels and Tires forum about fitting 18x10s onto a Fox. It's something I'm considering doing myself.

Pat

#12 ·
I have 18x11 rims on the rear with 335x30x18 Toyo's. The car is a 04 Cobra with IRS and MM Coilover kit. I rolled the fender lip and while I can't remember the back space of the rims I know I have a 1/2" spacer. I did shave the IRS bolt down, but there is plenty of clearance. My front rims are 18x10 with 305x35x18 Toyo's, but up front I have the Tiger Racing carbon fenders with 2" of extra room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.