Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is because I can pick up a pack of two Autolite 764s for $2.44 at Wal-Mart. If they are basically the same, then I will pick up eight of them and change out my plugs this weekend. But if there is that much of a difference I will wait and get the Motorcraft "Holy Grail" plugs.

Do I needs to removed anything on the air intake side to change thew passenger side plugs or is everythign accessible without having to remove hoses and the rubber intake to the throttle body?

Also what is the correct torque on the plugs? 19 ft/lbs.?

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Plug heat range

The AWSF22C is a colder plug than the Autolite 764. The 764 falls between a AWSF32C and a AWSF42C. Hope this helps.

turboalpine

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is an Autolite equivilant of the 22C plug. It's like 103 or something like that. If anyone knows for sure please post.

I'm running 12C's now

Seabass

·
Registered
245 Posts
You want to go with the hottest plug you can for fuel economy and power. As long as you get no detonation, colder plugs should not be needed. These holy grail plugs were for the 01 Cobra guys experiencing detonation problems. Other than this, I don't know why a colder plug would be a benefit on a non-detonating 96-99.. But if they're better, I'd try them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not sure if your heads are aluminum but I think 19 ft/lb is a bit high to torque the plugs to. For my '98 Gt I think the recommended torque is between 8 and 12 ft/lb.

·
Registered
107 Posts
for the mods you have, I would stick with the 764's, a colder plug will just hurt performance for your motor, unless you have high compression or a power adder, stick with that heat range. the 22's are too cold for your application.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will just try the 764s and see if they make a difference. I am not really looking for a power increase, rather a smoother running and idling motor. I figure for $10 total cost, it won't hurt to try them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts