Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a heavy fully optioned 94 coupe. We are building a 5.0 from scratch and have most of our parts bought for a fun street combo with a nasty sounding idle :GT-40 upper and lower, E-303 w 1.6 RR's, PIH with A9L computer, all of the regular bolt-ons and a T-5 and 3:73's. We have a #9 powerdyne to add to this combo and are ready to order the alum heads. My question is I want to buy AFR's but am not sure which one I should get. I am using forged pistons with flycuts which will accept the 165's or 185's. I was planing on getting the 165's, but was wondering if you should automatically go to the 185's with a blower or if the 165's are still plenty big for a 306 with #6-#7lbs. of boost. I will probably only be seeing around #6-#7 of boost at the gauge with the powerdyne and shift with the E-303 around 5600-5800 rpm's. With that amount of boost and .498" cam lift, which head do you think I should use for good all around power? I would like to order the heads today, so please tell me what is the best choice.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well at what level would you step up to 185's? I have a similar situation. I'm using a TFS 2 cam w/ 1.7's, 12#'s of S-Trim and a DSS low comp lower. Would 185's better suit me? I currently have small valve Performers, now with cracks in the intake runners:(

·
Registered
723 Posts
Bling said:
Well at what level would you step up to 185's? I have a similar situation. I'm using a TFS 2 cam w/ 1.7's, 12#'s of S-Trim and a DSS low comp lower. Would 185's better suit me? I currently have small valve Performers, now with cracks in the intake runners:(
You need 185's...

I have a heavy fully optioned 94 coupe. We are building a 5.0 from scratch and have most of our parts bought for a fun street combo with a nasty sounding idle :GT-40 upper and lower, E-303 w 1.6 RR's, PIH with A9L computer, all of the regular bolt-ons and a T-5 and 3:73's. We have a #9 powerdyne to add to this combo and are ready to order the alum heads. My question is I want to buy AFR's but am not sure which one I should get. I am using forged pistons with flycuts which will accept the 165's or 185's. I was planing on getting the 165's, but was wondering if you should automatically go to the 185's with a blower or if the 165's are still plenty big for a 306 with #6-#7lbs. of boost. I will probably only be seeing around #6-#7 of boost at the gauge with the powerdyne and shift with the E-303 around 5600-5800 rpm's. With that amount of boost and .498" cam lift, which head do you think I should use for good all around power? I would like to order the heads today, so please tell me what is the best choice.
Go with 185's....Your shortblock will take the bigger valves. They wont hurt your low end that much, if at all. They are the same price, no reason not to.

Your E cam is a low to midrange cam as it is, it keeps the low end grunt, my car had 270+rwtq from 2700-5300....

However, if your set on the small valve head, 165's will be fine, but I think the 185's would fit your combo better. You wont have any low end probs with the 185's...I know N/A 302 guys with 185's and their cars feel similar to mine at pretty much all rpm ranges....They have a little more pull above 5200

·
Registered
438 Posts
i am more than happy with my 165's as you can see by my rwhp #s :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
I OWN you Im the president of jackstand racing right now scrub. Accept it, learn it, love it.

My jackstands are faster than yours!:D I also have a 1 pump jack:evil:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
my combo made exactly 300 rwhp and 326 tq i now my heads r big for my combo and i have a blower cam thats also hurting me but in a month i will be adding a novi 2000 and 42# injectors and hope to be making 500 rwhp or more and still have fun on the streets thanks

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will go ahead and order the 165's. With my .498" lift cam, intake, and small #9 pullied powerdyne, I don't think I would be able to take full advantage of what the 185's have to offer. My 94 is really heavy and I would rather give up a little power up top and get all the low-midrange I can get ( idle-5800). With more cam and more boost and some strip duty, the 185's would probably be better. Everyone who has posted with 165's really seem happy with them. Thanks for all of the replies!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
my car idles nice the pro-m pih helped that out not to much hp probably around 10 hp for the pih makes the car idle nice i like the 185s my opinion my car pulls nice i had bad luck last summer at the track but i now i could have hit at least mid 12s on drag radials but no matter wat size you get they r still one of the best heads out of the box and they make good average power all across the boards if i wasnt going to run a blower i would have went with 165s either way you cant loose good luck

·
Registered
795 Posts
XSPOWER said:
I think I will go ahead and order the 165's. With my .498" lift cam, intake, and small #9 pullied powerdyne, I don't think I would be able to take full advantage of what the 185's have to offer. My 94 is really heavy and I would rather give up a little power up top and get all the low-midrange I can get ( idle-5800). With more cam and more boost and some strip duty, the 185's would probably be better. Everyone who has posted with 165's really seem happy with them. Thanks for all of the replies!
SEE MY sig.. I am pretty happy with my 165's:evil: :evil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts