Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious how the kits are holding up,any regrets,etc? if i remember correctly,the ptk dominator kit with 64mm made around 450 rwhp on a stock 94 cobra with an inj upgrade? looking to put one on my car with the same turbo but with a freshend b50 block 306 with stock crank,eagle i beam rods and dss flattops..f cam,185 afrs and 1.7 rockers with probably a rpm II..would like to get a reliable,hassle free 450-500 rwhp out of it

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speedstang,nice results! thats with a 67mm,correct? never seen that kit,did it allow you to keep a/c? so,stock cobra motor setup,gt40 heads and intake plus cam? bet it was smooth, what did you use for a ecu? i have a pms 4 to try out..hope to not open a can of worms with it,lol my kit came with a 64e turbo.. i have some 60s and a pmas 3" blow thru calibrated for that..the kit was setup as a draw thru,but i plan on either making another section coming out of the cooler to mate with the meter,or just notch the one that came with the kit..what meter did you use? needs to be a good length of straight pipe before most meters for a good signal..or so i thought

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
its just as easy to build your own turbo kit nowadays.

using B&G headers, CXracing cold piping, Treadstone intercooler..Comp 76mm turbo...made 809RW @ 18 psi on e85 through a T56..

I use a slot style SCT meter...only about 2 feet between the intercooler and MAF

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used the on3 stuff with a walbro 255 and ford 42lb injectors on my 95 coba. I have had decent luck with the kit just a few little minor issues along the way. It made 440rwhp and 510ftlb with their tune on 10lb. I have about 13k miles on it so far and I drive it literally everyday.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chinopsu, i hear ya on building it yourself..i am saving up for a good mig machine..so,hopefully this summer i'll be able to make my own..

i already have this PTK kit and would like to run it for awhile..it came with a 64E turbo,and i also have a 67 precision..i personally do not like the downpipe running over the pass header and down by the firewall..would like it to run underneath like the HP kits..but i would have to make several changes for it to work that way..and then will probably be stuck with something i can't sell if i decide to build my own later

jd23fe,thats a nice result from your setup..i don't know much about the on3 stuff, what size turbo are you running? is the motor still the stock gt40 intake/heads cobra setup? if you don't mind me asking,what were the issues you mentioned? just curious

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I am in the process of installing a PTK kit on my 94 GT. Long, trying process, lol. It looks like my down pipe is not going to fit and the cross over needs to be tweaked as well. I bought it used but it was never installed. I need the A/C line that comes with the kit.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I owned a kit, but never ran it on my own car......however I was around it quite a bit on the car it was previously installed on. It was a PTK T64E Kit. That turbo is really kind of smallish for a 302 by todays standards it seems. It made 530 rwhp and 615 rwtq at 17 psi through a 4R70W with a locked converter, 467 rwhp with the converter unlocked. Car seemed to be faster on 14 psi though.

Previous owner of the car had the turbo on it for years, and had self tuned it with Tweecer for 12 psi. My friend bought the car, cranked the manual boost controller, and threw some race gas in it, and let it eat.

On 14 psi (only change since running it on dyno was going to a 75mm tb in place of the stocker or whatever small one was on there previously, and going down to 14 psi), it ran 104.93 MPH in the 1/8 in some cold weather. That was on a stock rebuild 95 bottom end, TFS Heads, stock cam, 1.7 RR's, Typhoon Intake, through the PTK y pipe into 2.5" Magnaflows.

Full weight down to the front sway bar, ac, ps, stock steel driveshaft etc plus added weight of 4R70W, 17x10.5's, 6 point cage, turbo kit, subframe connectors, and 297 pound driver, so it seems like it was making a bit more than 530 on that pass. The raceweight was probably close to 3700 pounds or so.

Kit was a son of a bish to change plugs on the passenger side with, and previous owner said he had to send it back several times because of the coating coming off. The HP kit's for the fox seem nicer and easier to work around, not sure how they compare on SN95. I think you could see 500-550 rwhp fairly easily with the kit, go to a cheap 70mm and get 600's or more no problem.

·
4,305 Posts
I thought PTK had multiple revisions of this kit. Some of the later ones addressing the plug changing issue.

Rick is this the same kit you bought many years ago? If so then I think that was the very first design.

Rick I am concerned about you getting this kit onto your Cobra. After all you got confused with end links just recently ;)

Sent from my iPad Nano

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
draggin, what is the issue with the downpipe? too close to the firewall?

speeds, i think i remember the car you are talking about,was it blue? sounds like the 64E should be plenty for my setup then, its only a B50 block,so not much better than a stock block..if it even is better? i don't think my 185s flow as good as those high ports,but i think everthing else is at least comparable..i'm going to be running a T56, so getting into boost might be slower than that auto he was running..anyway,just want it to be decent on the street.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aaron,its not the same one i had back in the day from your bud Dean..

i'll probably pay my brother to install it for me,lol

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
That's part of it but the main reason is that the bottom of the downpipe hits the passenger side header before it lines up with the turbo. I have tried it all kind of ways and it just will not fit. I cannot pick up the rear of it because it hits the firewall and the A/C dryer. It is a pain to say the least. I am taking it to a buddy of mine and have it cut and rewelded to fit.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm,thats odd, this is the car build in your sig,correct? sounds like it will quite a runner once you get it going!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yea, it's the one in my sig. I see now why superchargers are so popular, lol. I had an S trim on my old motor but I have always wanted a turbo car. Sometimes I wish I would have just went with a YSi and been done with it. It would have been running months ago. I hope it is worth all of the trouble when it runs again. If you need any pics let me know. I don't know which version I have but I will be glad to help you avoid some of my headaches.

·
Registered
737 Posts
on3 holding up great makes good power

·
Registered
7,708 Posts

speeds, i think i remember the car you are talking about,was it blue? sounds like the 64E should be plenty for my setup then, its only a B50 block,so not much better than a stock block..if it even is better? i don't think my 185s flow as good as those high ports,but i think everthing else is at least comparable..i'm going to be running a T56, so getting into boost might be slower than that auto he was running..anyway,just want it to be decent on the street.
Teal, but looked blue. B50 block is wayyyyyyy stronger than stock block. Ford might have down grounded the rating, but they are similar to a Mexican block, and that is heaps stronger than stocker.

Turbo should spool fast as long as you dont have a short rear gear

1 - 20 of 46 Posts