Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you fellas running antique or classic plates on your fox body's? I've had a couple of people tell me I should due to the amount of time I drive the car and having to get it inspected here in Texas. However I don't know much about these plates and the differences between the two.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am in Dallas. The car has to be 25 years old to get antique plates. I got antique plates for my 94 Cobra. They cost about $50 and are good for five years. You do not have to get the car inspected at all. You are not supposed to drive the car daily, it is only supposed to be driven when being worked on, for parades or to and from car shows. With that said, I have never had anyone say they got harassed by the police for driving a car with the plates. One added bonus is that they only give you one plate so there is no front plate required.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AL P. I'm curious on how this would work with insuring the car. If I want to get some sort of insurance to cover the cost of everything I have in it and if I have it registered as an antique would the insurance company cover an accident if the car was being driven to work or just a night out in town.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should be able to contact Grundy or Hagerty and do Agreed value coverage on the car. It will limit your use but mainly the biggest stipulation is it can't be a daily driver. I know my plan allows me to drive the car whenever I want within reason, as long as i have another car as a daily. They have no issue with 5 or 10,000 miles a year but if I started putting 15 or 20,000 a year they might have an issue.

I hooked up with a speciality collector car insurance company at one of the local car shows years ago. They have insured all my antique or collector cars. The rates are extreemly reasonable and my cars appraised value increases by about 2% each year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
State laws on antique plates differ. Here in MA, there’s no exemption from inspection, and you are restricted as to when you can drive.

I just have a vanity plate and use Haggerty. Make sure you get the terms of when you can drive spelled out clearly. Then tend to discourage any sort of driving that isn’t pleasure driving.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Arkansas.

Governor (RINO) pushed for "fathered" by Jack Fortner and signed into law (act 368) that "antique" cars are reclassified from 25+ years old to 45+ years old. This went into effect literally days before I had planned to get antique tags for my '92 so I'm screwed for another 20 some years. I figured they were "tired" of people daily driving antique cars. Boy am I mad about it, too. They also put more restrictions as to when you can drive and how many miles. I think it was reduced to 2 days a week and 7500mi a year maximum but I could be wrong. The thought of reading the bill just makes me even more upset so I haven't looked into it. Those who already had antique tags are "grandfathered" but those who don't are out of luck and get to pay like everyone else, once a year, and that fee went up too.

What Gov. Hutchinson and Rep. Fortner do not realize (and may not care?) is that they just pissed off a BUNCH of enthusiasts. Not a single person I have spoken with at the many shows, drag races, circle track races, auctions, or get togethers are happy with it. Some folks it doesn't bother them (grandfathered) but after explaining that if they buy a car that is newer than 45 years young, they're not eligible for antique tags...even though their newer car is (Grandfathered). Typical government. Not many of them understand or respect the car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
By the way....what insurance are you guys using? Iv'e got to look into that for both the '93 coupe and the '92 GT and maybe the '03 F250 as well should I decide to keep all of them. Currently with state farm and get multi-car discounts but it's still kinda expensive and at this point, anything I can do to reduce my monthly bills is a bonus!

·
Registered
67 Posts
We use JC Taylor for the foxes. They were easy to establish fair agreed values with, were much cheaper than the bigger names and have had great customer service so far. It’s really tough to know much more until you “need” them though, and I hope I never do!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a broker called Crankshaftmotors here in NC
They have me insured thru Infinity classic insurance.
They are great to deal with. When I finished my first car about 15 years ago I had a mishap at one of the Yearone Experience shows and they handled everything quickly and very professional. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
anybody using these plates in CA on foxbody? I have an 86 that is mostly weekend and strip oriented but would rather not trailer the car to the track.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use.American collectors. Agreed value insurance. I also have Historic plates on my '90 Limited Edition Foxbody. They appraised it and have it insured for 26K. I pay $410 per year. I'm in NJ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts