Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to trim my antanae (sp?) just today and I can't cut the damn thing. When going at quick speeds I hate to imagine the stress the antannae causes in the quarterpanel plus a shorter antannae or even none would look cooler.

How do I still get good radio reception with the antannae relocated somewhere else? I'm thinking about running a flexible antannae (wire?) past the firewall and alongside the car via the door sill panel.

Any ideas for this next project of mine?

·
Registered
554 Posts
You will get terrible reception if you do. I have run my car to 165 for 10 miles and 140avg for 90 miles. I didn't have any problem with the antenna. I would suggest getting a hacksaw and put it in a vice. After cutting it, use a file to make it smoother. If you still want to get rid of it, get an antenna that is actually tape that runs around the inside of your front or rear window.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I deleted my antenna last year. I bought an antenna that runs along the inside top of the windshield. I have no reception problems. The body/paint work turned out great...looks like nothing was ever on the fender. I have some pictures up on my website of the antenna delete if you care to check them out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You will get terrible reception if you do.
I cut mine. In the city its not too bad. Just a couple smaller stations are bad. Out on the road is another deal. But thats why I have a CD player. I still like the way it looks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
esandes:

I don't remember the exact URL but the company is called Shorty Antenna or something like that. They make 15" antennae in a variety of colors and finishes.

FWIW, I trimmed mine to 15" and the reception is fine in the city. For long trips, I just pack up a bunch of CDs.

edit/// The URL is www.shortyantennas.com ///end of edit

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
When I bought my Cobra it already had a short antenna on it, it's only about 2 feet long and it doesn't stick up above the top of the car...looks pretty good actually, much better than the full length one on my buddy's GT...I keep pretty good reception too, I can pick up a local alternative station well over 60 miles away...Over on Mustang world.com they have a "How-To" on cutting your antenna down in their How To section...Here's the link:

Antenna Mod

Mine is actually about 4" shorter than what they have on that page...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I got to get me a dremel. The antannae is impossible to cut with wire cutters. Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts