Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to watch my first autocross this afternoon and think I want to try it next year. I think my car would be in cp, but maybe you guys could tell me for sure. This is just for fun and I am just a beginner so I guess it doesn't matter if I am going to be competitive or not. I'm not going to de-mod the car to compete or anything.

1991 mustang lx coupe
full interior
stock exterior
baer brakes
MM full suspension everything ta, coil overs, pan hard bar, K member, bump steer, etc.
347 stroker
single turbo
street tires right now, but I'm probably going to get race tires if it will be more fun

The scca where I would race has a OS2 group where I know I would be placed with street tires, but that isn't a real scca group and would like to know the appropriate scca group. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Not to mention the turbo! That thing will be loads of fun! Good luck! One run and you will be hooked for life!

Just watched your vid. Did you have that suspension setup for that 11sec pass? :drool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
Ok I thought he would be in SM, I'm still trying to understand the classing.

Would My car be in E Modified?

91 LX
96 Cobra motor
Novi 2k
2000 GT K
Bil struts, H&R springs
Bil Shocks, MM SFC
MM Adj LCAs
soon to come MM PHB, HD TA,
3 Core Intercooler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
jeostang said:
Ok I thought he would be in SM, I'm still trying to understand the classing.

Would My car be in E Modified?

91 LX
96 Cobra motor
Novi 2k
2000 GT K
Bil struts, H&R springs
Bil Shocks, MM SFC
MM Adj LCAs
soon to come MM PHB, HD TA,
3 Core Intercooler
You might get by in SM2, although the 2000 k-member is questionable since it's not on the same line as your '91 so update is technically not allowed. I really doubt the SM2 guys would mind.

The t/a will bounce you out of SM2 for sure if it ties into the MM sfc's (see the other SCCA Classing thread for some details). Since you can't run a blower in CP you go to EM.

Since there is no way a Mustang can compete nationally in SM2, much less CP or EM, concentrate on local competition.

Many regions have some version of a "run what you brung" class for people who built their car before reading the rules or who just don't want to be restricted by the rules. Ours is basically anything with a current license plate and is quite popular. If you don't have such a class in your region, try to start one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,627 Posts
rfloz said:
Since there is no way a Mustang can compete nationally in SM2, much less CP or EM, concentrate on local competition.
Actually Mustangs are quite competitive in CP. However, they bear no resemblance to a street car. If you don't have something along the lines of 600+ HP and run at least 12" wide slicks your not even in the hunt. This year at Nationals, Mustangs took 2nd and 5th places, last year a Mustang finished in 1st.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Glenn said:
Actually Mustangs are quite competitive in CP. However, they bear no resemblance to a street car. If you don't have something along the lines of 600+ HP and run at least 12" wide slicks your not even in the hunt. This year at Nationals, Mustangs took 2nd and 5th places, last year a Mustang finished in 1st.
Duh. Absolutely right, Glenn. I meant to insert "street" or "your" and didn't get it done. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
All I want to do is have fun and learn how to drive. Later next year I plan to buy a 05 GT and maybe I'll stick to the rules with that.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top