Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Do you know what year(s) the Fox VC's were? I'm convinced this is a factor with the internal clearance, and now am wondering if it plays a part in the alt clearance, too

Andy
It was with stock rockers on the GT so no issue there and now I have them on my Cobra with Scorpion 1.6 rr's and they were touching a little. The only covers I've ever used were the ones with the extra ribs inside. I have another set that doesn't have the extra ribs, they are identifiable easily from the outside by the flange that runs around the bottom.

Since I swap to a Fox tbody on all my SN5.0's I don't have interference issues with the throttle body, but on the first one I still had the elbow and ended up cutting the filler off and putting a piece of radiator hose in between so I could move it to the side a little.

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Guess I better sit in on this one, I am about to run Scorpion 1.6 RR on my Eddies and been dreading the whole VC issue..
That's exactly my setup. It's not that big of a deal really. There's only like two places where mine were hitting. I clearanced it all and then ran them for a while. Next time I had them off I could see a small place where it was still touching and took care of it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Using 92 Fox valve covers with the internal baffle removed and in the stock alternator position.
Are you running roller rockers? Do you recall if the inner (vertical) ribs were present?

Andy
Running 1.6 DSS stud roller rockers. I do not recall the internal ribs but the guy that helped me put the motor together made a big deal of the VCs being from a 89-92 and not from a 93. I have lots of alternator clearance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I picked up a set of fox valve covers and will remove the baffle inside and see where they sit once the rockers are on... hopefully the alternator isn't the next thing to create an issue.
stay tuned..

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I run the FRPP chrome fox covers on my 94 cobra with AFR 165's and the blue 1.6 ped mount RR's. They are the 93 style with no ribs inside. They cleared the alternator fine too without any mods. The only issue I had was the oil fill tube made it so that my oil fill cap would hit the IAC or TB, so what I did was find a extra fox cover with the oil fill tube and then took my chrome cover and cut the oil fill tube off directly below the little vac fitting and then took the extra valve cover and cut that oil fill tube off close to the cover itself and then got some rubber hose that fit it and that allowed me to make the oil fill tube taller and another nice thing was that it allowed me to rotate the tube so the vac fitting could point any direction I wanted it to. I even used a fancy oil fill tube cap and it stilled cleared everything in good shape. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have Edelbrock performer RPM heads with comp cams 1.6 rockers. I used two driver side covers and ground off the vertical ribs.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1425477643.338407.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1425477663.532498.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used a set of these covers on my 95 GTS. I removed the baffle inside, then took a pie cut out of the fill tube, tipped it forward and towards the driver side and welded it up. Fits perfect. I'm running cobra roller rockers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok ran into some issues with the fox valve covers clearing my roller rockers last night.... decided to stop working and head to the local watering hole for some wings and a few brews so it all worked out fine!
Back to the issue at hand, my valve covers of which I do not know the year they are from, have enough bracing inside to save the titanic from its demise!
These do not have the F2 stamping inside them and that's probably where I went wrong to begin with. I've heard these would work but the amount of grinding just doesn't make sense only to have it hit my alternator once it clears the rockers.
Does anyone know of a valve cover set up that will in fact clear the rockers and alternator without using a spacer to raise up the upper intake...? I'm hearing if I do swap to aftermarket covers I may need to use a spacer to get the upper to clear the taller covers and my intake bolt head is already digging into the insulator pad as it is. Not against spending the money but would rather not if someone has a cheaper alternative that would serve the same purpose. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Other threads have indicated that those vertical often bosses need to be ground down flush, at least the ones on the upper side of the cover. Fitting around the alternator (if it is in fact an issue in your case) should be a matter of only minor modification. I like the Fox covers, and would proceed with the required work since you have them. If you want the simple approach, the shorter Trickflow covers have been stated to fit without modification, and without spacers.

Andy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the reply Trick, I too like the look of the stock vc and would rather stay with them.
I knew the Trick Flow vc would be thrown out there but seeing as how nothing else is Trick Flow on the car I think I may track down some F2A vc and do whats needed for fitment..
I have seen some grinding work on some of these covers and it looks pretty extensive. I guess I am really just looking for an easier way to do it without all the grinding, cleaning, checking fitment and repeat... who knows, may just have to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had to grind down the 4 middle ribs on the lower side and the ribs in the corners on the top side before I could get them to clear. It was a lot of work, but worth it.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts