Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ran an N91 cam with a turbo setup? I'm switching from nitrous to turbo and really need some input, anything would help...thanks!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I think you would be very disappointed with the results of that cam. I'd talk to the experts. It all depends on what you want out of your combination too.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just the cam I already have, I'll buy another if need be...was hoping to save a couple bucks...lol

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What's the rest of your combination? If it's a stock block engine (302 based) there are plenty of good "off the shelf" cams to use. I had a friend with a mild 351W with a second hand "F" cam that went 8.80's at almost 160mph.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Now someone will come in here and say the F303 (like all alphabet cams) is junk and there are better cams. Sure there may be better cams, but it's pretty friggin' hard to argue with 8.80's and 160ish mph. Those times and speeds require a competition license and a parachute to run the car.

Can you tell us more about your friends 351W?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Honestly man, i wouldn't run a nitrous cam. A f-cam can be had cheap.

I have never really been a fan of the nitrous cams. I understand car A maybe faster than car B a tenth or whatever, but it took a 300 shot of nitrous for car A to get that extra tenth or so and a 125 shot from car B to run just a bit slower. Plus car B is a lot quicker car off the bottle.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
might want to add some details of the setup

street/strip (% / %)

·
6,396 Posts
Today's turbo builds are built closer to naturally aspirated specs when it comes to the cam. This is done to take advantage of the increase in efficiency in the current crop of turbos. 91° of overlap might be a bit much though (n91). I'm currently gathering the parts for a fun street 800hp 5.2 turbo build and will be using an naturally aspirated cam with 77° of overlap, also have a milder cam with 60° that is closer to what most would consider a turbo/supercharged cam. The f303 is a great ots cam, it's been used in builds in excess of 1000hp, it has 60° of overlap.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Now someone will come in here and say the F303 (like all alphabet cams) is junk and there are better cams. Sure there may be better cams, but it's pretty friggin' hard to argue with 8.80's and 160ish mph. Those times and speeds require a competition license and a parachute to run the car.

Can you tell us more about your friends 351W?
Production roller 351+.030 block
Stock crank, stock rods, je pistons
F cam
AFR 185 heads (box stock)
Victor 5.0 EFI intake
Homeade turbo system, unsure of what turbo

It looks too simple to lay down such good number, it just worked well though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts