Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
College guy...remember this formula for life. 1320/MPH = optimum ET. This is for a race car and if you have street tires, street suspension, street clutch or torque convertor, etc., you’ll never get there as everything is compromised. Have a dialed in race car? You can beat the formula but obtaining the optimum of the formula is the goal.
But look at this: 1320/your MPH=11.49 ET. That means you have the HP, in your weight car, to cover 1320,’ in your altitude, to go 11.49 seconds. That means: don’t open the hood!
As Alex and others have correctly pointed out, you need a real slick. Don’t forget, height equals more footprint! Then you will probably smoke the clutch! Fix the clutch and then work on the rear suspension as mentioned.
Students should NOT get serious about racing their daily unless Daddy’s paying for it!
The way the car is now it’s fun and probably won’t break parts. Leave it alone until you graduate and have a good job.
Sorry, just dad talk!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I put my 8" crank pulley on and went back the DA jumped a to aprox 7600ft. I matched my et, but my mph jumped to 118. Im happy with how it did, I'm just running for mph, and fun until I get the funds for better tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
College guy...remember this formula for life. 1320/MPH = optimum ET. This is for a race car and if you have street tires, street suspension, street clutch or torque convertor, etc., you’ll never get there as everything is compromised. Have a dialed in race car? You can beat the formula but obtaining the optimum of the formula is the goal.
But look at this: 1320/your MPH=11.49 ET. That means you have the HP, in your weight car, to cover 1320,’ in your altitude, to go 11.49 seconds. That means: don’t open the hood!
As Alex and others have correctly pointed out, you need a real slick. Don’t forget, height equals more footprint! Then you will probably smoke the clutch! Fix the clutch and then work on the rear suspension as mentioned.
Students should NOT get serious about racing their daily unless Daddy’s paying for it!
The way the car is now it’s fun and probably won’t break parts. Leave it alone until you graduate and have a good job.
Sorry, just dad talk!
Thanks for the formula.
With my new et 1320/118.17=11.17!
The car is fun luckily its not my daily, or I would not be racing it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update:
Last fall I was able to run my best time on the same NT05 street tires which was pretty cool. I am done trying to race on street tires so I have got a set of 27x10.50 Hoosier QTP's and some skinnies up front. Any ideas on what to expect once the drag strip reopens?
1585954123862.png

1585954643876.png

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Figure for every tenth improvement in the 60 foot, expect a 3 tenths improvement in overall ET. Momentum is everything.
There is a guy at my track who runs the same ET as I do, but is 6 mph slower. The reason why is he is one tenth quicker than me in the 60 foot. I have more HP, but because my 60 foot sucks, I run the same ET.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am hoping to 60' in the 1.70 range once I get used to the new set up. If I could make a mid 11 pass I would definetly be happy with that.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I ran those exact tires for a few years - easy high 1.4 60's on them. They hook pretty much the same as my 26x8.5 Hoosier Outlaw slicks. Back then I didn't have enough power to 60' any better than that. They NEVER spun.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the same tires QTP 27x10.5 and they are much better than the 275/60/15 Nitto 555R I had, you will have much better traction, they are also a lot lighter than the Nitto as well!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts