Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well took the 96 cobra to the track after dynoing, and i wasnt happy to say the least. First run i missed third badly and let off of it and coasted to a 16+. Next i ran a 14.6 but still spun in the top of first and second. Finally i ran a 14.4 at 100mph but still spun...What gives here anyone know what i could be doing wrong or is my car just crappy? I dynoed it today at pulled 279 to the rear wheels but was smoking above 6 grand, could i have an engine problem.? Oh by the way, i was running stock rims and the stock bf goodriches, they suck at the track:mad:

run 1- .896 r/t, 2.886 60ft, 16.5 1/4 at 73mph

run 3- .761 r/t, 2.485 60ft, 14.487 1/4 at 100.23mph

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ignore reaction time and the green light, concentrate on launch. Your R/T doesn't go into your 1/4 mile time.

Learn how to launch your car on the street without spinning the tires from a red light, then do that at the track. Once you can launch at the track then worry about reaction times ;)

I've heard people say that reducing .1 in your 60ft will yield .2 at the end of the track.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You car makes good power...you just need to learn how to get it to the floor. Sicne your a live axle just pop on some stickies and go to town...you will be amazed by what traction does to 1/4 mile times :) Good luck, and dont let this depress you...just need some practice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Z06KILLR said:
You car makes good power...you just need to learn how to get it to the floor. Sicne your a live axle just pop on some stickies and go to town...you will be amazed by what traction does to 1/4 mile times :) Good luck, and dont let this depress you...just need some practice.
thanks for the encouragement, i need it for real. I cant believe i ran only a 14.4 at 100 mph thats awful to me anyways. But i do plan to get some drag radials, or should i go all out and get some slicks and welds for the back??

·
Registered
57 Posts
What are you launching at?

Start driving it like you do on the street. Leave at idle and work your way up. You should be able to pull a 2.0 with ease on radials.

Vary your shift points. Learn your car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sean88gt said:
What are you launching at?

Start driving it like you do on the street. Leave at idle and work your way up. You should be able to pull a 2.0 with ease on radials.

Vary your shift points. Learn your car.

im not launching very high as i recall, under 4 grand im sure of. Just that it keeps spinning and then im screwed the resta the run. I mean dang my high mph tonite was only 100 and thats no good with a 14.4 to boot. However, i didnt redline any gear cause of the smoke that was coming out of my pipes today when i dynoed my car in 4th gear...just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
nothing is wrong with your car. the problem is your 60ft times, got traction?:D . you just need to launch better like the other guys are saying. spinning too much off the line will kill your ET. just practice, practice, practice...:) .

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Again, I will say that racing a DOHC cobra on stock tires will be so frustrating that you will either:

A. Trade the car for something else

B. Quit racing altogether

You need some sticky tires - I started with drag radials - AND 4.30 gears. Those two things alone will wake that snake up. Don't make the mistake I did and install 4.10's thinking that first gear would be a waste with something lower.

Sounds like you need to get that smoking problem checked out. Maybe the MAF?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stangin' said:
nothing is wrong with your car. the problem is your 60ft times, got traction?:D . you just need to launch better like the other guys are saying. spinning too much off the line will kill your ET. just practice, practice, practice...:) .
youre right i had NO traction whatsoever with my stock bfgs out back. And imagine ill be installing 410s later on, so i should save for the drag radials? haha

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jareds96svt said:

youre right i had NO traction whatsoever with my stock bfgs out back. And imagine ill be installing 410s later on, so i should save for the drag radials? haha
funny you should mention the maf. Cause i just recently put a proM 80mm on it about a month ago because my check engine light was on and threw a code saying maf intermittent. However, i put the new maf on there and of course my light came back on. Maybe im running rich or lean with that maf on there and no fuel pressure reg. or timing adjuster on my car?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I ran time slike those with my 4.10s.

Practice--second time to track I dropped my average of times.

I need DRs for my car but I have 18 inch rims--waiting for Nitto to make them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ttt

·
Registered
170 Posts
???

96SVT... well umm if I tried to leave with my car any where near 4 grand or some what less all it will ever do is spin spin spin.
bone stock my car lunched best just rolling onto the gas just above 1500 rpms look for time slips below. also if you rolled through the water box you just screwed yourself... just to get a nice low lazy base run in and work form there to me it sounds like your trieing all or nothing type driving .. and ending up with a bad run. just get your self some """ practice""""

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
by looking at your 60 foot times, you might consider getting yourself some sticky tires or launching at idle. :) Not making fun of you by any means but you might want to let someone else drive that you trust and you know real good and see what they can do.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1BadAzzGT said:
by looking at your 60 foot times, you might consider getting yourself some sticky tires or launching at idle. :) Not making fun of you by any means but you might want to let someone else drive that you trust and you know real good and see what they can do.
ouch that hurts man..hah But i hear what youre sayin, heck ill try anything once!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jared,

Patience & practice.

My first runs were in the 14.4 range too. my best 60 foots were in 2.1-2.2 range with stock radials. last time, with nitto DR's i managed a 2.04. still not that great but I'm learning.

I launch at 1800 rpm. i havent quite got the hang of it but i think the trick is to get the clutch out quickly and once the tires stop spinning just roll down on the throttle - not stamp on it.

4.10's or 4.30's will actually make the launch easier. i'm not sure why this is maybe because when the 3.27 breaks loose it attains a higher speed.

good advice from GrussR to ignore the R/T. eliminate that stress-inducing variable and just focus on the launch.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
yeah launching is definetly a pain in the balls (see sig)
i do think that your MAF is hurting you alot though. Black smoke=rich condition=less power. Did you reset your battery when you swapped MAF's? Thats definetly hurting you

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guido in Da Cobra said:
yeah launching is definetly a pain in the balls (see sig)
i do think that your MAF is hurting you alot though. Black smoke=rich condition=less power. Did you reset your battery when you swapped MAF's? Thats definetly hurting you
yepp i reset the batt when i switched mafs but still no luck. So if its rich how do i lean it out, will a fuel pressure regulator help me out to change the fuel pres??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anything else??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts