Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Registered
From my recent experience, the slight dimensional difference of the H lifter is not the reason they don't always fit under the heads. The real issue is the size of the chamfer on the end of the roller supports. I simply ground a bigger chamfer on my lifters and they easily fit right in place.
Lifter_Difference.jpg
Lifter_Mod.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yeah, definitely some differences there. Made a lot of progress today. Just intake,valve covers and fan/radiator/condenser etc. left.
I have a bracket on the back of the air pump just swinging around looking for something to connect to. That is my homework tonight. 馃憤

Registered
How did you correct the issue with the spring pocket? Is that an exhaust valve in the pic with damaged shim?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Bill,
I found some hardened shims that were almost the identical dimensions as the damaged ones. Thickness within about .005" so I think it should work well. I wasn't about to remove the heads and get them machined for cups etc. It never made sense to me why to not just replace with same but hardened shims. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔. But that's me. We'll see if it all stays together soon.
Ken

Registered
I did the same thing. Re-shimmed with dura-bond 3150 & 6150. If I ever pull the heads, will inspect and have a c/c 7455 shim kit to install.
Made probably 100 passes so far with stock cam. No issues (yet).

Bought the heads used many years ago, teardown revealed all exhaust valve shims torn to bits. (015 shim) Obviously valve float from previous owner, inner dampener did the damage.

Ken, what springs are you using?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Im still using the original Edelbrock springs. I had to draw the line somewhere to keep it simple and just get it running. Right now im just trying to remember what to put on the intake bolt threads going into the head helicoils. Im thinking a little blue loctite. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well after some searching, edelbrock pdf says to "lubricate" threads. So i guess I'll do that. Probably not much of loosening intake bolts anyway so here I go.

Registered
Yup, anti seize and torque to 16-18 ft/lb. Let silicone set overnight, then torque again.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts