Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my motor and I'm tossing around the idea of the SHM billet oil pump gears. I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish but I don't anticipate my car ever seeing a blower.

Tom

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd do it since you are already in there, I can't imagine that it would be that expensive. Are you doing the girdle as well?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gears are $385 and the cobra pump will cost me another $60 so it's up there.

I'm not doing the girdle because I don't expect to have more than 400 RWHP even if I put nitrous on it.

Tom

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Tom- I would say get the stud girdle if you plan on useing nitrous. That way you have more support on the crank when the nitrous kicks in. I say teh billet oil pump gears are kinda a waist. I have never personally saw a set of gears break or have any problems. If it makes you sleep better get it but I would say get the stud girdle.

So how is the build up coming?

Brandon

·
Registered
493 Posts
You seem to be a very meticulous person that likes to do things right the first time. I remember after having your stock engine pop using a supercharger, you decided to go the nitrous route for fear of this happening again. Nitrous can produce mad torque that is just as stressfull on your motor as high horsepower.

IMO, for $400 or so, it's worth it knowing that I don't have to worry about that component failing and have the potential in becoming a costly oversight.

Probably the best way to look at it is if you ask yourself this question. How much would it cost you if it failed?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Brandon,
The build is coming along. Hopefully it will be done by the middle to end of next week.

I did purchase the oil gears as a safety factor. As for the stud girdle I didn't think it was necessary unless I was over 500 RWHP.

Dave - I'm going to wait on the stud girdle for now. I will be doing the K-member swap and when I do, I'll probably change it then. The K- member will happen well before the nitrous. I just want to get it back on the road and funds are lacking.

Tom

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Tom,
I see you already bought billet gear. I checked into that when ordering my longblock. SHM said it was needed only if I was going to exceed 600 HP. At least you've got peace of mind. Better too tough than not tough enough right.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ROADWARRIORSVT said:
Tom,
I see you already bought billet gear. I checked into that when ordering my longblock. SHM said it was needed only if I was going to exceed 600 HP. At least you've got peace of mind. Better too tough than not tough enough right.
The other thing is that it gives me the flexibility (sp?) to increase my horsepower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts