Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I've noticed while at the track are the numbers of people that physically push their cars through the staging lanes until they get up close to to make their pass. Seems like a good idea, and many make it look almost effortless. I couldn't push my car throuhg the lanes to save my own A$$. It only weighs 2960 without me in it, the front wheel bearings are new and spin freely, 36# of air in my sportsman skinnies, I can easily roll the rear tires with the rear jacked up and in neutral. I'm thinking it's because I only run 11# in the rear tires that makes it so hard to roll. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
You're weak or try puting it in neutral next time it's MUCH easier that way.:D

A spool and slicks does make it much harder to push and you really have to push to get it started but once it's moving it should move fine. I quit pushing my GN (3700lbs and I weigh 150 lbs) after on one run where the engine popped and bucked b/c the engine was too cold. I don't have a jungle gym to crawl over tho.
It may help if you lean back against the rear of the car with your butt and push the car that way. You will get more traction with your feet and it may be easier to push that way. Oh, and make sure it's in neutral..

KS

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, Ha!! It's been in neutral when I tried. I probably just don't carry enough mass, fully clothed and soaking wet 140#. probably better off, I'd likely get it rolling and couldn't stop it fast enough, I have seen some close calls. Hard to jump in the car real fast with a roll bar in the way. As long as it's not a suspension problem causing more roll resistence.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
@140 wet...your gonna have a hard time pushing a car by yourself. I bump my fat ass 240 against one and it rolls away if im not careful...I'd say drive it in the lanes or get some friends to help push.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't push mine through. But I have a method to my laziness..... As it gets to the later rounds, you have less cool down time. I stage the car @ 175-180. It's 190 when I turn out. I know I could probably get a little quicker ET with the car cooled but I go for a consistant routine rather than absolute min. ET. With my cooling sys. the way it is I can hot lap the car with only a few 1/100's variation and no stress about cool down time

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I push mine and I weigh 140, you are just weak.

J/K I have a hard time getting it started after that its all good.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
If it's a daily driver, drive it up the lanes. Too cool of a motor will actually make less power. Warm oil is thinner. Gotta find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I just dont push mine...

My dad does sometimes, but we help him out. One smaller person trying to push a car on anything other than nice smooth flat ground isnt easy. I have pushed many cars, never my own through the staging lanes though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yeah I push my car up to the lanes by myself. I push mine with the drivers door open and push against my roll cage.

At the end of the day I am pretty beat since I do everything. I load the car up on the trailer, load all my tools, tie the car down, unload everything at the track, race, then load everything back and put the car on the trailer and drive home. I always sleep good after a day of racing.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Always have a friend. I don't I could push by myself even though the car is only 3000 or so, but with two of us its a snap.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know for a fact that the staging lanes at BSD run uphill to the tree, because if you push in the clutch in the lanes and don't step on the brake the car will immediately start to drift backwards.

Couple that with the fact I'm not only skinny but old to boot, I don't even try to push the car in the lanes. Fortunately my cooling system works good enough that I have to turn off the fan sometimes to keep the car from getting too cool at this time of year.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I typically push main, partially for the cooling effect and partially because I don't like to wear down on the battery and starter having to start it up every few minutes to roll forward.
My car without me is 2750 ish lbs. With me is 2970 ish.

It has a spool and I won't even try to push it through a turn unless someone is helping me. I still usually crank it up for turns..

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I push mine through the straight line part of the staging lanes. Takes 3-4 people to push mine through the 90 degree right turn under the tower. If I am by myself I just crank up and drive through the turn and shut it down and turn on the water pump for a few mins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts