1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 mustang
1.7 60 ft na BOG!!!
12.4 @ 111

I have tried every rpm from 3k up to 6k and every time the engine bogs to 3,000 rpm. I have M/T slick and single adjustable uppers. I have ran between 12 psi and 22 psi in the slicks.

My pinion angle is positive. The pinion points up. I would think the uppers should be adjusted small but they can't go smaller. I know they're shorter from bolt to bolt than the stock ones. Does anyone think this is why my car bogs every launch?

Do I have any cheap options? I have thought about slipping the clutch more but I don't want to fry it at 6,000 rpm. I have poly bushing I could put in the axle side upper the stock ones look fine.

Are the aftermarket lowers stock length from bolt to bolt? Maybe get longer lowers? The rear tires are pretty close to the front of the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
keep putting air in the tires untill it spins then take a pound or so out. - we have 28 in our stock elim car slicks- runs 11.10-11.30 w/ 1.5 60...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
street tires don't hook.

I have 373 gears.

I will keep trying more air. I just thought that 22 psi was a lot already. With more air, say 28 psi, will the middle of the tread area be worn a lot more then toward the side walls?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
sorry went back and looked- we actually have been running 25-26, 27/28 the car starts spinning..... .... this would be the cheapest and easiest thing to try-- im sure there are other factors here-- but well worth the try! Get a good air press gauge!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Good traction resulting in bog = time for more power. More gear would help. How tall of a slick are you using? more timing could help as well. And as always, get rid of as much weight as possible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i had same problem with a 3:73 gear on nos did fine on motor would bog bad. 4:10 or 4:30 5k launch let it eat,that car is pretty heavy to so a 4:10 would not hurt at all moving that much weight

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Besides the obvious more air pressure idea, how bout a different way to launch? Instead of just launching at whatever rpm, hold the rpm at like 3500-4000 and when the lights start to come down, mash the gas and dump the clutch right as the rpms hit 6 grand. The car will launch a LOT harder this way.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Definitely needs more gear. Most would rather be in your situation, then to always have problems spinning. With hooking up that well, you can only improve your ET's with more RPM/gear.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want more gear. I put poly bushings in the axle side of the upper control arms. Now I plan to set the pinion angle.... If that doesn't work oh well I will bring the bottle along with me.

Has anyone had issues with the pinion angle being positive? when my car is at rest it has a 5 degree positive angle. With stock uppers it was over 10 degrees positive.

Stay tuned to see if a better pinion angle gives me a faster slip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts