Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to drop a line to give my feedback regarding my recently installed FMS aluminum flywheel.

After a week of driving and a tank of gas, am pleased with the performance of the car. I noticed an increase in gas mileage of 2 miles per gallon; of course, this is just the first tank post-install. The throttle response is fabulous making even normal acceleration a mini-rush. I haven't been to battle yet as I am allowing my new Tremec to break-in. I have been through the gears, granny shifting at 5,000 rpm, and found midrange acceleration to be the greatest beneficiary to the install.

I am quite pleased with the investment and recommend it even for daily drivers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What about the loss of inertia in launch and highway cruising. Are these things noticeable? I have heard that the loss of flywheel weight hurts the car in these areas.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a friend who has analuminum flywheel on a stock mustang and it just killed his perfromance, but my other buddy has a vortech blown 306 with an aluminum flywheel and that thing is bad-a*%! I guess they work better with more power. Loke at the 2000 R. No problems there. 385HP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
96-SNAKE said:
What about the loss of inertia in launch and highway cruising. Are these things noticeable? I have heard that the loss of flywheel weight hurts the car in these areas.
With the new flywheel, I have to slip the clutch more out of first due to the loss of inertia. As I mentioned in my original post, the engine revs quicker; the other side of the coin is that the engine is also subject to faster deceleration once the throttle is released.

In my opinion, it makes for a more responsive car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts