Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a aluminium driveshaft thaat fits a 96-98 cobra fit a 99 cobra? Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ice,

You can buy the FRPP shaft but you will have to have it cut to 44 1/2". Our shafts are this long. I just got one from Transman several weeks ago. He had two cut and balanced. They both came back with out weights and neither of us had vibrations.

I don't know where my new 18 horsepower came from, other than the Bassani's, the shaft, and the K&N.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One more thing. Do you have the instructions to install the shifter? Probably the same as my Triax but you never know.

I forgot to tell you what type of sealant to use. Permatex #598B is the best.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike-
I don't have instructions for the shifter. When I put new shifter I used some old sealent my dad had. I will take it apart tomorrow and reseal it.
As far as the driveshaft, do you have any idea where I can purchase one for my 99, w/o cutting or modifing another? Thanks

P.S. Mike- Right after you exited Culver, there was a van on fire. Thats why traffic was heavy. Thought you would like to know. Late :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hope nobody was hurt. I saw the smoke when we crossed Redhill, and started to get a little nervous because at the time I thought it was a house and I live only 75 yards from the freeway.
I'm guilty of feeling relieved as I figured it was not a house.

Good meeting you yesterday.
You may need to reset the settings on the shifter.
Definitely get some 598B, or even ultra grey from permatex.

MK

·
Registered
43 Posts
The driveshaft purchased, cut and balanced was less than $250.00.

I think there was a GP going on BON.

Your best bet is to get the FRPP shaft and have it cut one inch.

FIRST MEASURE YOUR SHAFT to confirm that it is indeed 44 1/2".
You measure from the u-joint center from joint to joint.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike. It was nice meeting you as well. :) I will measure it this coming tuesday. If you click down below, they are selling one for the 98 cobras for $149. thats why I asked. If I were to buy it and have it cut, would I take it to a machine shop, or cut it myself, reweld it and then have it balanced? ;)

Click me

If you type in "driveshaft" and click Search. It will be the second from top, then click "info". They say its 45.5, so it must be an inch more than ours.

thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is it. You take it to a driveshaft shop and they cut it, weld it and balance it.

MK

I will talk to Transman because I think he will be getting some more for local sale only.
You are local.:D

MK

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Let me know. If he doen't get any more, is there a shop that you took yours to that cut it?:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts