Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure my alternator is charging. How do I check output on it. It's a 3G on an 87 mustang. The batt and alt are new. Tia

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have one. All I have is a regular meter. Check voltage at battery with a load. Like headlights on. Voltage should stay fairly steady?

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
All loads on, ie blower on. High

Voltage at battery should be 13.5-14.5volts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also check the fuse able links one might be damaged causing low voltage they should be next to the battery if engine bay hasn't been altered last I remember they are green in color or gray

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Reactions: 65 K car original1!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have one. All I have is a regular meter. Check voltage at battery with a load. Like headlights on. Voltage should stay fairly steady?
Check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine OFF by setting your volt meter to 20 volt scale. Attach positive lead to positive battery terminal. Attach negative lead to negative battery terminal. Voltage should read around 12.5 volts. Then start the engine, the voltage reading should spike up to 13.8 - 14.2 volts. That indicates the alternator is charging. Turning the headlights and heater ON, the 13.8 - 14.2 volts should still remain the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts