Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have alternator issues. I’ve picked up this 86 5.0 not running, it was missing the alternator and it has the weirdest wiring I’ve seen. For example, the coil, solenoid, and battery are all on the passenger side of the car. Which from my understanding was not standard in the 86. It’s odd. I did find the black/orange wiring once again, on the passenger side of the car. It was cut though. So I bought an 86 alternator and pigtail and just spliced the two black/white to the black/orange wire and white wire to the orange wire. I left the voltage regulator unplugged and not wired in, I didn’t think it was necessary; let me know if i’m incorrect.

It is definitely not charging. I’ve tried just one black/white to orange/black. leaving white wire unplugged and that’s about it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
It's not going to charge without the voltage regulator connected.

I had this info for an '84, don't know if it's the same as an '86.

Alternator Connections for Other Years:

On your 84 external voltage regulator, you have the following:
F, S, A, I

Unplug the wiring harness going into the external voltage regulator. Either splice into with your new wire or make a blade connector that will go into the old wiring harness. You will need to tap into two of those wires:
The F will not be used.
The S will go directly to the I on the 3G. The A will go directly to the A on the 3G. The I will not be used.

Looking at it from the 3G viewpoint:

The BAT goes to the inline fuse.
The stator connector goes to the S connector on the 3G.
The A connector goes to the A wire on the old wiring harness.
The S connector goes to the stator connector on the back of the 3G.
The I connector goes to the S wire on the old wiring harness.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not going to charge without the voltage regulator connected.

I had this info for an '84, don't know if it's the same as an '86.

Alternator Connections for Other Years:

On your 84 external voltage regulator, you have the following:
F, S, A, I

Unplug the wiring harness going into the external voltage regulator. Either splice into with your new wire or make a blade connector that will go into the old wiring harness. You will need to tap into two of those wires:
The F will not be used.
The S will go directly to the I on the 3G. The A will go directly to the A on the 3G. The I will not be used.

Looking at it from the 3G viewpoint:

The BAT goes to the inline fuse.
The stator connector goes to the S connector on the 3G.
The A connector goes to the A wire on the old wiring harness.
The S connector goes to the stator connector on the back of the 3G.
The I connector goes to the S wire on the old wiring harness.
I picked an alternator for 86 mustang from advanced. That’s still 2G correct? So do those instructions still apply?

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
Does the alt you bought have an internal regulator?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the alt you bought have an internal regulator?
I’m not sure. How would I confirm? I bought one from auto zone for an 86 mustang 5.0

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was following the attached wiring diagram: black white/to black/white on voltage regulator, yellow goes to black/orange just like black/grey (2) to black/orange also. Green I left disconnected because idc what it says on the dash yet. It still does not appear to be charging.

I’ve attached a picture of my wiring. I’m embarrassed by how it looks lol, but it’s just for testing purposes. But the battery is still not charging... am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
without the green wire connected to a bulb like on the diagram

it will NOT charge,

the bulb is integral and necessary for charging.

to prove this, attach a wire to battery +, then to a bulb then to the green wire

and watch the magic happen.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
without the green wire connected to a bulb like on the diagram

it will NOT charge,

the bulb is integral and necessary for charging.

to prove this, attach a wire to battery +, then to a bulb then to the green wire

and watch the magic happen.
Are you being sarcastic again? I can’t tell with you lol. And by magic you mean the light will turn on?

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
do what you like.

I can only take you to the water...........

the magic reference means, you have no clue how an alternator works, which is fine, so when it works and generates current........you can refer it to magic.......

if the light comes on, that means IT IS NOT working, that is NOT due to installing the green wire, it will be something else

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do what you like.

I can only take you to the water...........

the magic reference means, you have no clue how an alternator works, which is fine, so when it works and generates current........you can refer it to magic.......

if the light comes on, that means IT IS NOT working, that is NOT due to installing the green wire, it will be something else
Where can I find the actual wire on the factory harness

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
get a diagram for your year car

or go to the external reg, as that is where it needs to go to

and i have no idea if it is green

if it was my car, i would trace it back to the dash where the 'batt' or 'amp' light is

battery voltage goes through the ignition switch to the dash through that bulb then on to the alt

the alt will ground that wire when alt voltage is less than battery,,,,,,and turn the bulb on

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get a diagram for your year car

or go to the external reg, as that is where it needs to go to

and i have no idea if it is green

if it was my car, i would trace it back to the dash where the 'batt' or 'amp' light is

battery voltage goes through the ignition switch to the dash through that bulb then on to the alt

the alt will ground that wire when alt voltage is less than battery,,,,,,and turn the bulb on
So I was trying to trace the wiring looking for the green/red wire. And I stumbled upon the attached…

Is this some sort of old school external voltage regulator? It has the same markings A S F I

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I was trying to trace the wiring looking for the green/red wire. And I stumbled upon the attached…

Is this some sort of old school external voltage regulator? It has the same markings A S F I
Well after I found the weird voltage regulator, I matched the wires to the new one and unplugged the old one. Getting 14.05 volts at idle now. Problem solved, thanks all for the help

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
nothing weird about it, that is how they came

did you put all loads on at idle and check voltage?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nothing weird about it, that is how they came

did you put all loads on at idle and check voltage?
An 86 mustang came from the factory with a voltage regulator mounted in the fender well?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts