Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying a path that not many have gone down, which is seeing what kind of flow I can get out of 96-98 heads that are ported/polished, 3 angle valve job, gasket matched and reground cams on a set ot stock heads. Jason Steen at steenracing.com
is a local guy that has been working on 5.0's and 4.6's for a while and was interested in trying this route also. It seems that every one has given up hope on the 96-98 heads without giving them a chance. I will admit that the stock numbers suck, the heads are the low point on that motor, but instead of buying the headswap and bolting it on I wanted to try another route. I will have hard data soon, as the heads will be flow tested to see what the gain is. The Game has built a good reputation on here for doing p/p heads, but it seems that the numbers are all for the 99+ heads.
Jason does excellent work for a very price, he can do any p/p on 5.0/4.6 heads and will ship or do the install for you if you are willing to travel to Norfolk, VA. This is not a pitch for Jason, I am trying to get hope out to all of you that have the 96-98 heads and think your only option is to buy the headswap kit. If you are interested in the costs I have incurred, send me a PM/email or email Jason at [email protected].
Greg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Doing a good port job and valve work on the 96-98 heads has allready been shown to gain almost as much or maybe as much as the FRPP/SVO and it should be the same with the 99+ heads.
The problem lies in watching how much material is removed because these heads don't have alot of meat like FRPP heads. Also the valves are spaced as such that you can't change them out for bigger ones. A good valve job should net some good improvements though.
Good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
gregs 97 gt

dude i feel you all the way. im trying to do the same exact thing. all the big time places i talked to said it would not be worth p&p 96-98 heads. they all told me to do the pi swap or p&p svo heads for max performance. my goal also is to get the most out of my non-pi setupim sure i can squeeze mid to low12's without changing to the pi set up and mabey close to 400rwhp. what times are you running with your current non-pi setup. if i do go to the pi head setup itll be the very last thing i do. keep in toush and let me know how it works for you and ill keep you posted on mine. theres very few of us willing to go this route, lets show them pi's whats up. good luck keep in touch and long live th stang

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I don't understand the logic here. The '99+ heads are relatively inexpensive pieces. In stock form they flow better than the '96-'98 heads, and have alot more room for improvement. You pay decent money to get the choked '96-'98 heads P&P'd. Why not save those pennies a little longer and spend a little more for a stock '01 headswap kit? Save a little more and a P&P on those gets you more flow than you'll ever get from the asthmatic heads, no matter what you do. Is it all a matter of principle? To do what others have not? Not flaming here, just trying to understand why you'd WANT to keep the older heads. There are better available that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Greetings.
I also wondered the same thing as Greg. In March 2001, I picked up a pair of used non-PI heads for $200. I began the tedious and time consuming task of porting them myself. Just a basic cleanup on the intake side, with most of my effort going to the exhaust ports. Unfortunately, I never finished. I have one head completed, awaiting flow benching and a valve job. My goal was to get the heads flowed to see if my effort was worth it. Then I would finish the other head. I hope you get good results, Greg. Hopefully that would motivate me to finish my porting work!
I don't think reworking these pathetic heads is a waste of time. A guy named Bob, who went by the screen name boss96, picked up around 60 rwhp on a Vorteched motor by adding ported non-PI heads. A lot of people have ported the anemic iron 5.0 heads and gotten good results. These heads have similar flow numbers, I believe. You can really save a lot of money doing the job yourself, especially since many head swappers are willing to part with their old heads for little money. Add $100 for porting supplies and $200-300 for a good valve job (I think?), and you can get good flowing heads for half the cost of the PI swap. Just grind down the exhaust valve guide bosses and blend the transition from the exhaust bowls to the ports and significant gains could be seen, especially on a blower motor.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
robbiec98GT said:
A guy named Bob, who went by the screen name boss96, picked up around 60 rwhp on a Vorteched motor by adding ported non-PI heads.
boss96 will tell you himself...he did this when nothing else was available. He wouldn't do it by choice now. And his results were extraordinary (meaning not easily duplicated). Also, the '96-'98 heads are not the only choker. You need to look at that intake manifold. And it's thin plastic, so there's no porting it. Again, IMO, a waste of time and money. Might be worth it for the shear experience and the "I did it myself" factor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Greg,
Thanks you for the kind words. We here at Steen Racing do everything from Early 5.0 to 02 Cobras. We have recently had requests for 96-98 heads. I feel that we can get the heads to flow well. Yes once they are done they will be at thier porting limits without any sort of welding. Yes we do offer 01 head swaps but some just don't want to take that road. Anyone intersted in finding out more about our head porting check out steenracing.com or email me at [email protected] .com

·
Registered
386 Posts
pi swap

i think everyone is missing my point. my overall goal is to see how far these non pi heads will go. once ive maxxed them out then i may go the pi route. lets say i reach my goals of mid 12's and near 400 hp, would that not be cool. long live the stang

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
yeah, i understand your goal, but it's insane and very expensive what you want to do. If you've got that kind of money to blow off, then by all means go for it.

In your case, running a blower on a non-pi GT, your best option is to just skip everything and go straight for the FRPP heads. Those heads outflow PI heads and most certainly those excuse's you call heads on the 96-98....AND you keep the stock compression.

Back in 96, Steeda showed us the recipe of 11's on a 2v GT. FRPP heads and intake (out of the box too!) and a vortech. I believe it was in the neighborhood of 11.6 and not sure of the mph at this moment.

Imagine how fast you'd be with some ported FRPP's and an extrude honed or ported FRPP intake. DAYUM!!! :drool:

·
Registered
564 Posts
You'll go 12's with 12lbs of boost @ 6krpm (3.125") pullie. I made 378hp at the wheels with that setup and ported heads, ran 11.93 one time only, 12.0-12.1 otherwise. You'll need longtubes and slicks also.
Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts
frpp heads

97MattGT said:
yeah, i understand your goal, but it's insane and very expensive what you want to do. If you've got that kind of money to blow off, then by all means go for it.

In your case, running a blower on a non-pi GT, your best option is to just skip everything and go straight for the FRPP heads. Those heads outflow PI heads and most certainly those excuse's you call heads on the 96-98....AND you keep the stock compression.

Back in 96, Steeda showed us the recipe of 11's on a 2v GT. FRPP heads and intake (out of the box too!) and a vortech. I believe it was in the neighborhood of 11.6 and not sure of the mph at this moment.

Imagine how fast you'd be with some ported FRPP's and an extrude honed or ported FRPP intake. DAYUM!!! :drool:
so the frpp heads wont effect the compression for sure?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Greg-
Any flow numbers yet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts