Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
No, but that doesnt matter. They capture the lifter in an entirely different way. Just buy a set off ebay for 40 bucks.
I did this in 2007 after loosing my 88 SD cam and installing a Crower cam I had on the shelf - still going strong........

·
Registered
105 Posts
These were in the explorer motor I just took apart... 22 year old plastic part??? Seems like a bigger gamble than new dogbones?? I could not find them new either...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Woody and Tom, thanks for the tip. Probably a stupid question but forgive me as I haven’t seen these installed, any chance you have a pic of them in the lifter valley? I see the NOS items on eBay. If I can put them in without having to pull the 11R heads, this is the route I’ll go.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Found this on the corral. I'm guessing the plastic is Ultem or similar - good to 340F. It's likely at least 30% glass filled, which makes it highly wear resistant. I was surprised it used the same spider hold-down.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Found this on the corral. I'm guessing the plastic is Ultem or similar - good to 340F. It's likely at least 30% glass filled, which makes it highly wear resistant. I was surprised it used the same spider hold-down.

Thanks so much, Cougar!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Yes they use the spider tray. They dont wear and dont become brittle
This looks similar to what the LS engines use factory.

Install is possible with heads already on, right? Only asking because physically they’re bulkier and taller than the dogbone setup obviously.

Edit: looks like lifters go in first making clearance a non-issue.

64comet, you have a PM.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
So what does everyone think about reusing the "spider" ? Seem as if it gets NO wear or movement... My only thought would be the thousands of heat cycles it gets???? My explorer engine is 22 years old and it was worn out.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey Woody, do you feel link bars are superior to a spider setup? How about on a engine that will see a lot of highway miles? Just curious.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey Woody, do you feel link bars are superior to a spider setup? How about on a engine that will see a lot of highway miles? Just curious.
My guess is they’re superior. But for someone like you and myself, it boils down to how big the cam will be and if the $200+ price difference is worth the peace of mind. I’ve heard that in most cases dog bones work very well. My car came with a pretty stout 306 that I would beat the absolute piss out of and other than the lifters getting old and noisy the car ran great. I did go with link bars for my current engine though. Just my $.02

·
Registered
302 Posts
My cam has .594 intake valve lift. I’m wondering if I’m approaching the point where I should rethink using my nearly new Sealed Power HT2205.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My cam has .594 intake valve lift. I’m wondering if I’m approaching the point where I should rethink using my nearly new Sealed Power HT2205.
I couldn’t tell you what the cam specs were in that 306 other than the fact it was a custom cam made by Erson. The cam in my car now is .600 intake and exhaust. Not sure dog bones will allow the lifters to travel that far.

·
Vendor
12,474 Posts
I have had failures from all styles of lifters, morels failed, oem style failed, dogbones break etc...
Put the lifter at max lift, then grab the lifter and pull it up until it hits the dogbone. If there is plenty of room, then your fine.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts