Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my alt packed it in today. i wanna put a 130amp or something on it but not sure where to start. first of all, im not really into spending huge money on this car anymore...i heard there were tauras's and explorers that have good altenators on em, is this true?
next issue i have, is mine has an external voltage regulator on it, how do i make a bigger alt work with that crap? pretty much i need all the info i can get my grubby lil hands on about putting a 130 or so amp alt in a older external regulated stang. ANY help will be appriciated, thanks guys

Brian

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone pleeeease tell me that this can be done with an externally regulated older style car...either that or i buy another useless stock alternator and get another 4 months out of it

brian

·
Registered
254 Posts
they do have heavy duty alternators for externally. I got a 100 amp for mine. You will have to use the pully off the stock one but a good parts house should be able to help you.

Allen

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right on allen, did you have to get a different regulator or something like that?? im not very good with electrical stuff, but if i can, ill get a alternator for a exploder or tauras that is supposed to be a 3G, thats what i heard they have anyways.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've got a regular 3G that I'm going to be putting on my 85. I'm waiting till I get myself a Mark VIII fan, though. I'm gonna write up a tech article for it when I do. I know this isn't much help to ya now, though. It can be done, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thanks guys...so noone really knows where ther emay be info on doing this swap...thought it would be easier then this!
:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts