Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at 4500 the car breaks up. The timing at 4000 and up was 19 before on the rpm vs spark chart in my binary editor. When it hit 4500 it did loud gunshots space apart like firing a gun. I backed the timing past 4000 to 16 and it still does it, but now it's like an auto machine gun. Afr's are 10.8 or so and boost is 10psi. Didn't get to log today unfortunatly, but next time for sure.

Pheads
cobra intake
h.o. cam
on 3 kit with the 70mm
42lbers
pmass
255 in the tank.

Car hits full boost at like 3200 which is awsome but comes on a little strong. These were 2nd gear pulls. kinda chugged along in 3rd with more load. I use copper autolites gapped at .33 to much gap?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always ran at .33 on the vortech, but my turbo friends say it's to much with this turbo. Can my logging in the moates tell me anything at all in regards to spark blow out?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I always ran at .33 on the vortech, but my turbo friends say it's to much with this turbo. Can my logging in the moates tell me anything at all in regards to spark blow out?
it is telling you. when it goes fat. also , what dizzy are you running? stock or msd? what plugs? .33 is to much. turbos move more air. drop to .28 or so and try again

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is telling you. when it goes fat. also , what dizzy are you running? stock or msd? what plugs? .33 is to much. turbos move more air. drop to .28 or so and try again
Stock dizzy. Pretty sure the pip is toast to. Car shuts off after 15 minutes of driving, but fires right up after 3 minutes of sitting. Been meaning to change it, but I don't think one has to do with the other.

Like I said autolite coppers, can't re,e,ner specifics. Gap is .33-.34. and I have no rich issues at all at wot. I think 10.9 is perfect. I shall re-gap and log it. I'll figure out what plugs too. My intown vacation starts thursday unfortunatly so I wont have a long until next thursday or so.

I appreciate the quick responses 2night guys!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Stock dizzy. Pretty sure the pip is toast to. Car shuts off after 15 minutes of driving, but fires right up after 3 minutes of sitting. Been meaning to change it, but I don't think one has to do with the other.

Like I said autolite coppers, can't re,e,ner specifics. Gap is .33-.34. and I have no rich issues at all at wot. I think 10.9 is perfect. I shall re-gap and log it. I'll figure out what plugs too. My intown vacation starts thursday unfortunatly so I wont have a long until next thursday or so.

I appreciate the quick responses 2night guys!
10.9 is fat IMO

and shutting down could be the module, or the pick up about to go. even the coil over heating.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10.9 is pretty safe not to mention winter is about to hit so things should lean out. I'll try the plugs first because it's a free mod. The distributor has to go though. The coil is fine as well. I thought that was the culprit at first. Thanks guys were getting there.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Im having the exact same issues as you describe with my 95 cobra. I'm running autolite 103s gapped at .023 and it still does it. I think is going to need some sort of ignition amp. Around town the car runs great and will pull hard up to about 4500 or so and starts to break up and pop. Keep us posted if you make any progress with it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the stock dizzy, but when the spark problem started happing I replaced the tfi and no good. It just looses spark after 15 minutes. When it happened I threw a stock coil on and it wouldn't start. I'm pretty sure its the pip in the niddle of the dizzy, but I'm not going to do all the work to change it. Ill get a dizzy in the next few weeks. Ill do my plug gap next week after my vaycay. Is there a easy chart for fuel like the timing vs rpm scale. That made wot so east with timing. If there is one for fuel id do it in a heartbeat. I will keep this updated though, but won't do much until next weekend.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If there is an easy way to adjust the fuel curve, I'll do it. My car likes to jump up half a point in cold weather so for now it will stay until I can fix the spark issue. If .28 gap doesn't do it then I know it's the dizzy. Once she's fixed I hope it's not to rich up to though.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A spark blow out is a misfire which will show up as a LEAN condition on an 02.
So that will show up in logging on the quarter horse. I don't have any loggers outside what moates comes with. I'm misunderstanding the earlier point mention where it running fat is spark blow out. My vortech was always at 10.9. Tons of cars are.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Btw, I have copper autolites. I want to say they are 764s. Typical orange box. Hard to remember though. They only have but 700 miles or so on them, should I keep them? always ran the, with the s-trim. Otherwise tomorrow I'm going to just re-gap and try going wot again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts