Ford Mustang Forums banner

almost done with turbo install...first start questions inside

908 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vorga 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys, almost finished installing my single turbo kit on my stock block 333. I plan on taking it to a pretty well known tuner in PA after I save a little bit of cash, but in the meantime, what shall I do to have a driveable car? Do i set timing to 8-10 degrees and keep the spout out to lock it there? Will have lightest wastegate spring installed and a manual boost controller for now. Got NGK 5671a-08 plugs gapped at .032 with aftermarket ignition. Ive got afr gauge and boost gauge to install yet as well as a few other little things before firing it up.

combo consists of - 1200 mile on pro rebuilt 333ci stock block, dss all forged rotating assembly, ported Eddy Performer RPM heads, Trick flow track heat intake, E cam for now, 60 mm injectors with 3" prom pro tube matching maf, ON3 70mm single turbo through mac flow paths and 3" tails

THANKS!

#2 · (Edited)
Unless there is something completely not right that needs fixed after start up. You shouldn't have to do much. Im sure your tuner will want the timing at 10* so why not start there. Just take it light to the tuner. Keep the load off and stay in the vacuum and you should be just fine.

Happy tuning!

Got NGK 5671a-08 plugs gapped at .032 with aftermarket ignition.
Those don't happen to be platinum do they?

#5 ·
One of my friends installed a turbo kit on his car and had no money for a tune I told him not to get into boost . He refused to listen to me and called me at the end of the day said I Have been driving my car and everything is fine do I really need a tune ? I said he was lucky and yes he needed one . He called before lunch the next day and said I was right . He had just blew his motor . He took it apart a few days later and found he snapped one of the rods messed up a piston and a rod pushed through his block . He ended up selling the car a few weeks ago in parts .this all happened in the last few months . I got pictures some where of his motor all messed up that he took . So yes you can drive it but you are taking a BIG chance . I drove my car 100 miles to the tuner without a tune but I stayed out of the boost and was scared the whole way there . You got too much money in the car to take a chance .. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.