Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an 03' Cobra and plan on changing out the exhaust immediately. I plan on doing headers, offroad h-pipe and a catback.

My question is what combinations have worked best for you?

What has netted the best hp and torque gains?

Please list brand names and possible places for me to order them. Thanks a lot.

I plan on having these parts waiting at my house when I take delivery of this beast.

Tony

·
Registered
938 Posts
Tony,I wouldn't do headers right a way.I have an 03 on order also.I would like to see what works best also as far as exhaust mods.
My feeling is this car would want an offroad 3in x or h pipe pipe and 3in catback.

Jim V.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You should consider that mods made to a NA engine may, or may not, have the same impact on a blown motor. You '03 guys are essentially pounding new territory.

Presumably, the same basic rules would apply - Ford has to meet noise requirements that you don't have to. As a result, intake mods (K&N - remove silencer if there is one) and exhaust mods would be the first to look at. I'd focus on the cat-back first (before edit: uh AFTER, silly! the H pipe), as this would likely have the biggest restrictions.

And, of course, a way to get rid of the POS gauges. Oil press, water temp, and boost gauges will be needed - ones with REAL numbers that ACTUALLY move would be nice.

Good luck on your new ride!

- Dave (SCOA #1474)
'01 Cobra Coupe (Laser Red, Charcoal), no wing
- #812 of 3867, born 5/7/01
- Dyno results (7/10/01): 273rwhp, 277ft-lbs
- Best ET: 13.748 @ 102.128, 60'=2.264 (7/18/01)
- Potenza RE730, 275/40/17, on CobraR wheels
- Bassani CatBack system (8/1)
- Griggs sub frame connectors (8/18)
- Steeda shifter and Cobra grill emblem (9/26)
- MM strut tower and K brace (10/13)
- 100MM Densecharger (10/27)
- MGW shift lever (1/14/02)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim- Do you know where we can order the 3" pipes?

I figured the 2.5" wouldnt open it up enough. We need to get this snake breathing. I just plan on doing everything at once so that it is done right. I hate stock exhaust!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
No one is going to have headers available right away as the '03 Cobra is going to be using a new head design. I would think that someone (hopefully JBA) would have them available in 6-8 month's after the '03's hit the streets. I'm sure that they will realize that these will be in GREAT demand! :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
A Dr Gas 3 in X and a Dyno max 3' cat back with race magnums would be a good start I would think. I didn't realize the heads were going to be different , so I guess you will have to wait for headers. Long tubes would obviously yield the best gains , but a set of JBA 1 5/8 with above mentioned x and catback would open her up nicely I would think.

Matt

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would wait until the cars hit the street, to see what changes were made.

I recall when the 01 cobra came out a few pre-purchased shifters - PRO 5.0 and the Steeda to find out the trans had a different shifter

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, here are some excruciating details so pay attention:

I have a 2001 Cobra with 3" Ultraflow cat-back and a 2.5" Mac H-pipe (with cats). There are two interesting points that you need to know when making this decision.

The first point is that you should probably not change the headers unless you want to spend more money and have more mechanical noise under the hood, for a lousy 7HP. IMHO this is just not worth it. The factory headers may not flow the best but they get the job done and do a real monster of a job keeping engine quiet. If you feel compelled to do this, use a brand that has 14 gauge tubing or thicker (I don't think you can get thicker).

The 2.5" Mac H-Pipe I bought is made from an 18-gauge material that is also not quite thick enough to prevent the exhaust pulses from making an underhood noise that sounds sort of like an exhaust leak. You get used to it after a while but it sounds kind of cheapy on a $30+K car. I do think this mod is worth it though because it's easy to install and makes a big power difference (usually between 12 and 15HP at the wheels x or h-pipe). Again if you do this, choose a brand with good quality cats and very thick tubing material.

Now, on to the cat-back. I personally recommend going with a 2.5" and not a 3" pipe system. The primary reason is that the larger pipes tend to produce a loud, boomy and fuzzy exhaust note (kind of like dumps) at certain RPM ranges. The 2.5" inch pipes have a more clean, tuned sound to them and don't have the fuzz (give me a break, this is really hard to describe with words). After three Cobras in the family, the exhaust that sounded the best and made the most power on any of them was the MAC 2.5" flow-path system (added 16 rwhp to my brother's '97). I will probably get creamed for suggesting this but it's true. It was also one of the least expensive of the lot. My other favorite in terms of sound is just welding Borla mufflers into the stock tailpipes. Sorry for the book.

·
Registered
236 Posts
laroux said:
OK, here are some excruciating details so pay attention:

I have a 2001 Cobra with 3" Ultraflow cat-back and a 2.5" Mac H-pipe (with cats). There are two interesting points that you need to know when making this decision.

The first point is that you should probably not change the headers unless you want to spend more money and have more mechanical noise under the hood, for a lousy 7HP. IMHO this is just not worth it. The factory headers may not flow the best but they get the job done and do a real monster of a job keeping engine quiet. If you feel compelled to do this, use a brand that has 14 gauge tubing or thicker (I don't think you can get thicker).

The 2.5" Mac H-Pipe I bought is made from an 18-gauge material that is also not quite thick enough to prevent the exhaust pulses from making an underhood noise that sounds sort of like an exhaust leak. You get used to it after a while but it sounds kind of cheapy on a $30+K car. I do think this mod is worth it though because it's easy to install and makes a big power difference (usually between 12 and 15HP at the wheels x or h-pipe). Again if you do this, choose a brand with good quality cats and very thick tubing material.

Now, on to the cat-back. I personally recommend going with a 2.5" and not a 3" pipe system. The primary reason is that the larger pipes tend to produce a loud, boomy and fuzzy exhaust note (kind of like dumps) at certain RPM ranges. The 2.5" inch pipes have a more clean, tuned sound to them and don't have the fuzz (give me a break, this is really hard to describe with words). After three Cobras in the family, the exhaust that sounded the best and made the most power on any of them was the MAC 2.5" flow-path system (added 16 rwhp to my brother's '97). I will probably get creamed for suggesting this but it's true. It was also one of the least expensive of the lot. My other favorite in terms of sound is just welding Borla mufflers into the stock tailpipes. Sorry for the book.
I am going to have to disagree on a couple points. There is a big difference in NA and supercharged when it comes to HP per mod. I will have to say a good set of shorty headers ( JBA's for instance ) will be worth way more than 7 HP on a SC car. I will also disagree on sound with the 3in. Maybe an X sounds better with 3 in than an H .... I don't know , but we could argue sound quality all day long. I like the 3in Dynomax becasue of the straight through muffler design.... flows better , no 2K drone and sounds great when mixed with the X-pipe. I get more compliments on this car than any other of the TEN combos I have had on other cars.

These are of course just my opinions , and you know what they say about those :rolleyes:

Matt

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got in on the group purchase for the headers and I thought they would fit the 03's. I was going to keep them and install them on my new Sonic Blue 03.

Anyone want an 99+ Cobra L/T's never been installed?

Regards,

James P.

·
Registered
579 Posts
jpetre said:
I got in on the group purchase for the headers and I thought they would fit the 03's. I was going to keep them and install them on my new Sonic Blue 03.

Anyone want an 99+ Cobra L/T's never been installed?

Regards,

James P.
I wouldn't sell those just yet. The '98 and '99 Cobras have different heads also yet the '98 BBK longtubes will work on a '99 with a few minor modifications. I would wait and see if the exhaust ports and bolt pattern does indeed change before taking a loss on a new set of headers. JMHO.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i am thinking the header design(long tubes) and H/X pipes(for long tubes and shorty headers) will be slightly different due to the T56. correct me if i am wrong though, i thought that the T56 was wider than the T45. i will definitely be buying a set of Hooker long tubes and matching off road H as soon as possible. and i am sure the manufacturers are already building parts for it. would 3" exhaust be perfect size? or would you lose any bottom end with it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Question about VRS catted X and Magnaflow...

I picked up a VRS catted X in the last GP, and I was going to pick up a MaganFLow cat as well. Since I'm not getting my '03 till October, I was planning on putting these on my '99 and then swapping over.

I know it's too early to tell, but should I do this, or sell the exhaust with the car and get something different for the '03?

Any opinions would be appreciated...

:p :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Question about VRS catted X and Magnaflow...

kushiro said:
I picked up a VRS catted X in the last GP, and I was going to pick up a MaganFLow cat as well. Since I'm not getting my '03 till October, I was planning on putting these on my '99 and then swapping over.

I know it's too early to tell, but should I do this, or sell the exhaust with the car and get something different for the '03?

Any opinions would be appreciated...

:p :D
It is very possible that the Cobra will get a new header design because the Mach 1 is getting different headers. Will earlier mid-pipes fit? No one knows right now so it's all up in the air. It may be possible to retrofit them if the header outlet flange location stayed in the same place, but who knows??? I would be willing to bet that the catback will fit your '03 though. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts