Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR AN OCCASIONAL STREET DRIVEN CAR, HOW SHOULD I ALIGN THE VEHICLE FOR THE BEST POSSIBLE CASTER/CAMBER TO COMPETE WITH IN AUTOCROSSING? I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT ANY OF THIS BUT I KNOW IT'S VERY IMPORTANT AND WANT TO LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sigh.

Or perhaps, SIGH.

Did you search? Even a little bit? This has been covered many times.

Are you competing in a stock class? This will severely limit your alignment options since camber/caster plates are not allowed in stock.

Did you not want to adjust toe? Some find this quite useful for auto-cross.

How much street time are you talking about? Radical alignment settings will eat tires quite quickly on the street. E.g., my car is set at -3.2* camber +5.0* caster and 1/4" total toe out. But then, I only drive maybe 50 miles per month on the street. I wouldn't want those settings on a daily driver.

Do a little homework, give your intentions more clearly and you might get some real help. Actually, sufficient homework should answer most all your apparent questions.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Find the caps lock key, it'll shave half a second off your times.

You do not want to drive on the street (nor could you achieve with stock parts) the kind of alignment that's worth a damn auutocrossing. Get yourself some good caster/camber plates or don't bother. And when you have them, swapping between street and autocross settings is a simple 3-minute affair.

It would help if you'd share what car you're dealing with too, but generally, you want a minimum of 2.5 degrees negative camber, 5-6 degrees positive caster, and whatever toe-out results having changed to those settings from more reasonable street settings of 5 degrees positive caster and about 1.25 neg camber wiht 0 to 1/16th inch total toe-in.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
martindc1 said:
What class are you going to autocross in?
yeah I guess that does make a difference LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who helped with this question. I guess if you don't know anything around here in this forum that you shouldn't ask anyone in here for help. Did I do some research looking at some previouse ,posts? Yes I did, but that doesn't mean that those people were running the same thing I was. And Whoever complained about the caps lock thing is such a friggin baby. It would save half a second on what? Do you even realize that didn't make any sense. All I can say is wow. No onder why a lot of other car people don't like mustang owners. Get your heads out of your asses and take a look around.

Not everyone knows everything about road racing or autocrossing, but I know about manners and helpiong people out. I'm sorry I wasted all of your time withthis stupid question. Don't worry because this forum sucks ass anyway and I'm out. See you guys on the track.

·
Registered
850 Posts
SCCARACERGT said:
Don't worry because this forum sucks ass anyway and I'm out.

Yeah, we're just a bunch of old meanie-heads.

Try over on Corner-Carvers.com, they're much nicer over there.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
SCCARACERGT said:
Wow, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who helped with this question. I guess if you don't know anything around here in this forum that you shouldn't ask anyone in here for help. Did I do some research looking at some previouse ,posts? Yes I did, but that doesn't mean that those people were running the same thing I was. And Whoever complained about the caps lock thing is such a friggin baby. It would save half a second on what? Do you even realize that didn't make any sense. All I can say is wow. No onder why a lot of other car people don't like mustang owners. Get your heads out of your asses and take a look around.

Not everyone knows everything about road racing or autocrossing, but I know about manners and helpiong people out. I'm sorry I wasted all of your time withthis stupid question. Don't worry because this forum sucks ass anyway and I'm out. See you guys on the track.
Good. I'll hold you to that threat if I see you back here crying like a little girl again about meany-heads giving you good tech to a badly-asked question.

Signed...the road race autocross forum moderator baby.

·
Registered
514 Posts
SCCARACERGT said:
Wow, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who helped with this question. I guess if you don't know anything around here in this forum that you shouldn't ask anyone in here for help. Did I do some research looking at some previouse ,posts? Yes I did, but that doesn't mean that those people were running the same thing I was.
Here's a tip. Start out with at least one question that's in greater detail than "What's the best . . .". Providing some evidence that you actually have done some searching would go a long way (e.g. "I've seen suggestions of x.x* camber; would the same apply to my situation").

And Whoever complained about the caps lock thing is such a friggin baby. It would save half a second on what? Do you even realize that didn't make any sense. All I can say is wow. No onder why a lot of other car people don't like mustang owners. Get your heads out of your asses and take a look around.

Do you understand that your question is a request for technical assistance, and asking it here instead of at your local alignment shop differs only in your manner of communication and amount of payment. HOW MUCH HELP DO YOU THINK YOU'D GET FOR FREE IF YOU SHOUTED THE VERY SAME QUESTION AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS RIGHT UP IN YOUR LOCAL FORD SHOP ALIGNMENT TECH'S FACE?

Translation for the internet-manners challenged: all caps IS the equivalent of shouting, which is considered by most to be somewhere between rude and ignorant. I'll let you figure out for yourself just where within that range your first post put you.

And grow a thicker skin; else you'll get your feelings hurt most any virtual place that you do anything more than lurk at. You're calling somebody else a baby over a politely stated suggestion made with a clear sprinkling of humor? Oh, the irony.

Not a Mustang owner (but good information and entertainment is where you find it).

Norm

·
Registered
71 Posts
rfloz said:
Yeah, we're just a bunch of old meanie-heads.

Try over on Corner-Carvers.com, they're much nicer over there.
That place is scary. I've been a member for 2 years or so(I think) and I have not made one single post:crying: .

·
Registered
850 Posts
Parsons said:
:lol: You're doing better than me. I haven't even been able to get my account approved over there.

Keep trying; it's worth it. They open up once a month or so.

Tread lightly though; if people think there are meany-heads here, well . . .

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
rfloz said:
Keep trying; it's worth it. They open up once a month or so.

Tread lightly though; if people think there are meany-heads here, well . . .
you get a free pass if you PM Matt M. and tell him it's your maiden voyage and you want to know what the best X Y or Z for your mustang is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I apologize for typing in all caps most of the time. The reason for this is because I work for an architect as a draftsman on the computer all day, and all the text that goes on the sets of drawings i do has to be in all capital letters for ease of reading. Just because I typed in all caps doesn't mean that I was yelling. I thought that was what all bold type letters meant. Anyway, as I said before I don't know much about this situation, thus that means I probably don't know how to ask it correctly. Instead of ridicule, I was hoping for help. And I don't know what shops anyone goes to, but if you just ask a question about this at any alignment shop around here thay don't charge you unless they actually do the work. I don't want sympathy or somebody to hold my hand either. I just had a techinical question I though one of you guys could help me out with.

Is there a book I can get on this type of stuff? And if so, does it tell you how to align an occasional driver? Most books I've seen talked strictly about race cars. Although that might be in the near future it isn't a reality right now. So I apologize for my stupid question.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Terry: Were you thinking about me, you, and Shawn going in together to get some alignment measuring devices so we can start doing our own?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
SCCARACERGT said:
I apologize for typing in all caps most of the time. The reason for this is because I work for an architect as a draftsman on the computer all day, and all the text that goes on the sets of drawings i do has to be in all capital letters for ease of reading. Just because I typed in all caps doesn't mean that I was yelling. I thought that was what all bold type letters meant. Anyway, as I said before I don't know much about this situation, thus that means I probably don't know how to ask it correctly. Instead of ridicule, I was hoping for help. And I don't know what shops anyone goes to, but if you just ask a question about this at any alignment shop around here thay don't charge you unless they actually do the work. I don't want sympathy or somebody to hold my hand either. I just had a techinical question I though one of you guys could help me out with.

Is there a book I can get on this type of stuff? And if so, does it tell you how to align an occasional driver? Most books I've seen talked strictly about race cars. Although that might be in the near future it isn't a reality right now. So I apologize for my stupid question.
Great, a fresh start. But you still haven't told us what car you're driving and what class you autocross it in, if you care about class competitiveness. That matters because to do anything really good with the alignment you'll need caster/camber plates, and they aren't legal in some classes. The car matters because some of the alignment issues faced by the driver of a '91 mustang are different than those faced by the driver of an '04.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MFE said:
Great, a fresh start. But you still haven't told us what car you're driving and what class you autocross it in, if you care about class competitiveness. That matters because to do anything really good with the alignment you'll need caster/camber plates, and they aren't legal in some classes. The car matters because some of the alignment issues faced by the driver of a '91 mustang are different than those faced by the driver of an '04.
He has a 2003 GT 5-speed and he races in ESP.

I'm answering for him so we can get quick answers:D

·
Registered
850 Posts
SCCARACERGT said:

No apology is necessary.

Just re-read the posts above without taking them personally and you will see that people need more information before thay can give you specific recommendations.

If you want to know how to align your car, as opposed to, or in addition to, what alignment specifications will work well, again, try a search. There is some very good information on DIY alignment here.

I am aware of at least two threads that not only address street settings, but ways to quickly change from street to auto-cross friendly settings.

Understand that people get tired of answering the same questions over and over, especially when they are poorly framed with too little background information. That said, you will find this forum is fairly tolerant of newbies and will try to work with you given half a chance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts