Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading through many of the posts related to the airbag code 52 on this site and others. After sifting through many of them I am trying to consolidate exactly what is factually correct and what does not apply to the 1993 year model.

It appears the consensus for what the code 52 is, is that it is a “ backup power supply fault“. This code apparently is triggered by low battery voltage to the airbag control module. From what I understand it can also be triggered by the circuitboard within the airbag control module itself. The 25-year-old + capacitors/thermal fuse are no longer working.

Also from what I understand the control module is no longer available through any Ford dealerships and must be sourced as a used part through eBay, salvage yards etc.

There is an option to have the capacitors and some other electronics and internal fuse replaced on the circuit board by numerous companies that offer this service.

The numerous post with instructions on how to reset this code apparently only applies to the 1994 and up year models.

So, if I am understanding correctly you CANNOT reset the code 52 on a 1993 model the same way that it can be reset on a 1994 and up car (using the connector under the dash).

The only way to clear the code and fix the problem lies with replacement of the airbag control module itself or repairing the circuitboard with new capacitors and components?

I’m throwing this out there for the community to take a look at it and tell me if what I am tracking here is correct.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car only has 53k on it. All original. No wrecks. Sits on the lift in garage. Went out to start the car a few weeks ago this was the first time the airbag code came on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indy I haven’t been able to locate the boost circuit you are referring to.

Am I understanding correctly that there is NOT a method to reset the 52 code on a 1993 like can be done on 1994+

I sent off my airbag module “blue box” and had it refurbished with new capacitors and thermal fuse. It came back and looked great. I plugged it back in and I am still getting the same 52 code.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
I put that info out to you and whoever else reads this so you would be informed of my situation.

Thank you for replying with helpful info. I will try to figure out how to test the boost circuit.
[/QUOTE
THIS will not help anybody, as age is irrelevant

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Indy I haven’t been able to locate the boost circuit you are referring to.

Am I understanding correctly that there is NOT a method to reset the 52 code on a 1993 like can be done on 1994+

I sent off my airbag module “blue box” and had it refurbished with new capacitors and thermal fuse. It came back and looked great. I plugged it back in and I am still getting the same 52 code.

I looked at the wiring diagram that you posted, and it is clear where to put your probes

you must have 16-19volts

look

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
I haven’t posted any wiring diagrams.

Thank you for posting it though....

did you read the info in the boxes?

power in pin 13, what should that be?

pin 15 and 23, what should those be?

make sure you do a voltage drop when checking the module ground

i would back probe at those pins

what do you get?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
  1. did you read the info in the boxes?

power in pin 13, what should that be?

pin 15 and 23, what should those be?

make sure you do a voltage drop when checking the module ground

i would back probe at those pins

what do you get?
    Thank you again for the info.
I’m trying to make sure I understand where to probe.

The schematic, is it the harness that plugs in to the blue box?

So I just need to identify those wires on the harness plug and ground them with a voltage tester and check for 16 to 19 V ?

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
you need to id the pins

they are usually numbered

you dont unplug it

you use T pins to backprobe the connector, or use piercing probes

it needs to be plugged it

you are going to be like the monitor that checks the voltage

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the probe probe pins in there between pin 15 and pin 3 to backprobe and got 17.06 after about 1 minute. Meter was set on 20 Vdc

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Indy will hate this I’m sure but why not disable the airbag? It’s a bomb that was wired up 25+ years ago sitting a couple feet from your face. You’ll want to remove the blue box if you go this route because it’ll start buzzing soon

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Got the probe probe pins in there between pin 15 and pin 3 to backprobe and got 17.06 after about 1 minute. Meter was set on 20 Vdc

did you read the notes on the page i linked?

what is pin 3?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts