Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 302 with forged pistons, 190lph fuel pump, 42-pound injectors and tuning by Pro-M EFI. Stock compression. With the build nearly complete I'd like to totally screw up a perfectly running road racing car by adding 100 extra hp. The block is stock, ARP everything. 430whp is the goal. It makes 320 whp now.

My first questions are about air to water intercoolers. Does the water just run to a tank? Do you just run until the intercooler coolant is the same temp as your intake temps? Can you run with a heat exchanger in the mix? How large does that have to be? Is loading the coolant up with Ice before each race a good idea? What type of coolant do you run through there? Anti-freeze?

A Road racing friend of mine says with non-intercooled S/C he was seeing intake temps at 190. With air to air, he was seeing 130-degree intake temps, but the intercooler was blocking air flow to the radiator and he was having coolant temp issues. So that's why air to air won't work for me. It might be possible to run a smaller heat exchanger Behind the radiator but I don't know.

The other question is regarding these kits they have for sale. a 190lph fuel pump and 42# injectors should be sufficient for my power goal. I don't think I need a lot of the crap they add to the kits. FMU? what exactly does that do?

Speaking of fuel, would you run a higher fuel pressure? I have the stock FPR on there now, that might be one of the few parts I'll need to change.

what kind of issues can I expect with crankcase pressure? 7-9 pounds of boost.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
At 7-9 psi you'll crack the block. Especially road racing it. For an A/W on a road race course, you'll need a heat exchanger. I don't run one, but if I ever autocross this thing again, I'd pulley it down and pull a ton of timing out of it, and just let the A/W water temps end up where they will. It'd still be overpowered anyway. I run straight water. At the track, I fill my 3 gallon thank with ice (about 10-15 lbs), and in a single pass it'll melt it all. Just driving around town, if I turn on the pump, the water in the tank has gotten as hot as 140-150 degrees. That's with very little boost.

A better solution for a road racing setup would be meth, in my opinion. 190lph and 42lb injectors won't cut it. You'll need a 255 or 320 and 60lb injectors at least (at 7-9 psi, that is). With meth, you'll need less fuel, so you might be ok with what you have. No matter what, the block is your weakest link.

With water, be sure to run a sacrificial anode, or this can happen:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts