Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which air/fuel monitoring solution do you guys recommend? Autometer wideband? Innovate wideband? Other solutions?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Ballanger unit is the rebrand NTK AFX. Very high quality unit that can run Bosch of NTK sensors. Have 2 on my car and want to add to boat as well.
Ballenger Motorsports - High Performance Electronics

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Ballanger unit is the rebrand NTK AFX. Very high quality unit that can run Bosch of NTK sensors. Have 2 on my car and want to add to boat as well.
Ballenger Motorsports - High Performance Electronics
Ditto. I had nothing but troubles with Innovate over a months time. I now run an NTK/AFX on each bank and have had excellent results... I highly recommend these.

ks

·
Registered
767 Posts
I’ve had good luck with my aem. Once I had a sensor fail, replaced it and it’s been smooth sailing since the.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You want one with the Bosch 4.9 LSU Wideband Sensor..

I went outside the box and went with Maxtow, a division of Glowshift Gauges.. They have been great.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Having a WB display is totally useless IMHO, unless you like the look of it

otherwise has no value
Why do you figure? Mine was great when getting startup fuel and what not dialed in. Sure beat the hell out of going back and looking at DLs each time. Also nice for getting afr sorted when cruising.

·
Registered
767 Posts
are you looking at Lambse at the same time in real time, to dial in fuel?
Yes. Had a friend drive the car so I could do some tweaking to match lambda with lambse.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Having a WB display is totally useless IMHO, unless you like the look of it

otherwise has no value
I agree.
Mine are tucked under the back seat b/c the car is already tuned. If the car needs a re-tune then they come back out.

ks

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Yes there should no gauges in sight. Why would you want to monitor engine vitals? Especially A/F of all things? SMH

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
LOL

It's great to see AFR"s when idling cruising. You can pick out problems with fuel or ignition real quick.. Same with Boost and Vacuum..

If you think so........

by the time you see problems on the gauge, you have already been yelling "what now!!" at the car

its a lagging indicator,,, but some people like bright lights.....go figure

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Yes there should no gauges in sight. Why would you want to monitor engine vitals? Especially A/F of all things? SMH
Anyone that has to constantly watch gauges is neurotic.
Think about this seriously for a minute: If someone REALLY wanted to know the exact second that something was amis wouldn't you rather have an alarm sounding and screaming at you? You will never convince me that you watching all those gauges will allow you to react faster than other alternatives. How do you know that you will be watching the correct gauge if something happens. You can't watch every single gauge at every second. Gauges are great for tuning but do nothing if something actually happens.
I have electronics that monitor the vitals and if they become out of spec the motor is basically shut down and either lights go off or a 120db beeper screams at me. This is the fastest way to catch an issue and help prevent damage...if someone was really interested in preventing damage.

Ks

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Kevin I never said I was constantly watching the gauges. Having the ecu warn you is a great idea. My ecu has some warning I use. Not every ecu has has that ability. I sure wouldn't rely on a stock eec CEL to warn me that my boosted engine was running lean under boost. Engine could be damaged by than.
What ever works for you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts