Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any real world experience between the stock setup on a 88 LX Coupe and one of these from Cervini or Saleen? If it is something that works better than the stock setup, I am all for it but don't want to buy until I know it works. I like the fact it has the two openings for a brake cooling tube as well. Also, anyone running something like this with the chin spoiler? Results? Thanks to all who reply.

https://lmr.com/item/CER-4323/1987-90-Mustang-Saleen-Style-Front-Air-Dam

·
Registered
694 Posts
"This air dam attaches directly to your LX bumper with 3M double sided tape and screws into the inside of your fender wells."

^That's from the LMR site...My $0.02...I don't see how just adding this over the top of your existing cover is going to increase air flow for any better cooling. You still have a bottom breather and will still need something like the OEM air dam to get the air up through the radiator.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does your car run hot currently? if it doesnt, then spend money elsewhere.
No, at the moment it doesn't but I have only done one event. I have another 4 coming up in the next month and would rather be safe than sorry. I don't mind spending the money if it works, I just don't know if it would.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"This air dam attaches directly to your LX bumper with 3M double sided tape and screws into the inside of your fender wells."

^That's from the LMR site...My $0.02...I don't see how just adding this over the top of your existing cover is going to increase air flow for any better cooling. You still have a bottom breather and will still need something like the OEM air dam to get the air up through the radiator.
My understanding is it replaces the stock bottom portion. It looks like some good venting but not sure about it yet. Also, not sure how the venting going straight back under the radiator helps unless it was meant to be for some kind of boxed in setup. It appears it is very similar to the Saleen air dam and if it is on Saleens cars, chances are good it would work. I just want to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I think im going to end up going to home depot, buying a massive piece of ABS plastic, cutting my GT front bumper in half (maybe) and riveting/screwing etc the ABS plastic and make a massive air dam. Let me find a picture of what iam talking about.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I use that bumper and used a piece of aluminium runs all the way along the bottom to the radiator. I've turned mine from a bottom breather to a front breather. This lowers high speed lift. I've also cut a hole in my hood for air to escape out the hood and go over the top of the car rather than under it thus also reducing high speed lift. There is a really good thread on this over at corner-carvers.com

We will be at Putnam Park in a month and you can see what all is done there if you want.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
So, I did the old fashioned Ranger air dam on my 86. Fitted it with brake cooling inlets an fastened to the lower bumper with removable fasteners. Doing this requires a hood vent to relieve the presure and increase flow through the radiator. Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use that bumper and used a piece of aluminium runs all the way along the bottom to the radiator. I've turned mine from a bottom breather to a front breather. This lowers high speed lift. I've also cut a hole in my hood for air to escape out the hood and go over the top of the car rather than under it thus also reducing high speed lift. There is a really good thread on this over at corner-carvers.com

We will be at Putnam Park in a month and you can see what all is done there if you want.
Yeah, I definitely will check it out. I ended up buying the thing anyways, along with a oil temperature gauge setup. Should have both of them on Tuesday and installed by the end of the week (have to get it prepped and painted). I installed the Mishimoto Oil Cooler (that was really easy) and the car should be running cooler. I also have the Cervini Mach 1 hood on my car. That should let some cold air in and filter the hot stuff out the cowl in the back. I ran my car at the dyno today as well. I am making all my power under 6,000 rpm with my current 347 setup so it should last pretty well. Here is the dyno.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Pretty stout!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I also have the Cervini Mach 1 hood on my car. That should let some cold air in and filter the hot stuff out the cowl in the back.
The air flow won't work that way at speed on track. The cowl isn't a low pressure area at speed, so warm air won't be coming out, instead you'll be pushing air in. (Hence the term cowl induction.)

Obviously at low speeds you'll vent warm air out there - you've probably seen it while you're stopped. I've never seen anyone do some yarn tuft testing to figure out at what speed a cowl induction hood starts to push air into the engine bay rather than letting air vent out. Considering how relatively vertical a Fox's windshield is (compared to more aerodynamic modern cars), I'm guessing the transition is at pretty low speed.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I did the old fashioned Ranger air dam on my 86. Fitted it with brake cooling inlets an fastened to the lower bumper with removable fasteners. Doing this requires a hood vent to relieve the presure and increase flow through the radiator. Pics
It looks good. Not sure if it is the picture or not, but it appears you don't have much ground clearance there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts