Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a good air to air intercooler that will support over 800whp. I have been looking at one from Precison turbo, but they only claim it will support 825hp and its the biggest one they offer. It also has 2 3/4" inlet and outlet. So im not so sure that will be what I really need. Ill be running a Precision billet 7675CEA and it has a 3" outlet on the compressor side. Right now I plan to run 3" pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body. The cooler itself is 3 1/2" thick though. So im not sure if the smaller inlet and outlet of this cooler would be a real restriction or not. I really wish it had 3" instead and im going to be using v-band connections. Im open to any other possibilities but I dont want to spend more than $700 for one
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have a big procharger air/air intercooler for $600 shipped. It's good for 1000 + Hp Let me know I'll post pics in a sec

818-448-5131 David

·
Registered
939 Posts

Dimensions are 27x14.5x3.
3" inlet/outlet

One inlet has some JB weld applied. It does not leak and has been pressure tested.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
None of those cores will realistically support 1000hp. You may be able to make that HP, the the inlets won't be great. The procharger one will have GREAT cfm rating because the core is so short, and a small restriction. But won't cool real as well. The Treadstone is better because the cores are a bit longer, but they don't use the best cores. The PTE one you showed would be the best probably. But the pressure drop could be up there because the IC is so long. But cooling will be great. I'd go a little taller, like 12-14 if you could, and shorter the core a little.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Precision 825hp one. I run a 3" cold side with it, works fine for me.
I am leaning towards that one right now. But the description says its 34 1/2 inches long. I need to know if that is measured from the bottom (inlet to outlet) or from the top (endtank to endtank). It may be a little too long. From my measurements on the car I only have 32 inches of space to work with at the top of the intercooler

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I still run the cheaper version A/A they sell on ebay for under 200$, I will untill I go A/W. I have seen and read about guys going in the 8's on these making big hp, although the precision/procharger ones are much nicer and a higher fin count I'm sure.
Mine is 36x12x4, it's the large cheapo one with 3" in/out.
I run the same turbo as you, with 3" from the turbo to IC, and 3" cold side to TB. My car made just over 770rw on 18psi thru a shorty air filter, full exh, and a auto.

If you are staying A/A I also would get a nice one! My IAT's have never been an issue.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea props to you for getting it to work for cheap. no offense and i dont want to sound stuck up or anything, but an ebay intercooler isnt coming anywhere near my car. its just personal preference i guess

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I still run the cheaper version A/A they sell on ebay for under 200$, I will untill I go A/W. I have seen and read about guys going in the 8's on these making big hp, although the precision/procharger ones are much nicer and a higher fin count I'm sure.
I run the same turbo as you, with 3" from the turbo to IC, and 3" cold side to TB. My car made just over 770rw on 18psi thru a shorty air filter, full exh, and a auto.

If you are staying A/A I also would get a nice one! My IAT's have never been an issue.
I have the same one. It ships in B&G kits. The best price out of the kit is:

Intercoolers & Kits | RacePartSolutions.com

I have gone 8.48 @ 166.75 on it.

They are rated at 1000 flywheel hp, doing the math I'm seeing close to 1000 rwhp through it.

I now think it is my limiting factor but the real next "step up" is an expensive Garrett core. The 5" core can support 1400 or so hp but requires custom sheet metal tanks and won't fit in an LX nose. We are going to do one of these on my car after the Ohio NMRA race.

My $.02, don't waste money anything that is a marginal improvement from the $189 one because simply put, it works.

The other options listed above cost a lot more and are rated at less hp. Where is the payback? If you want to spend money man-up and get the garrett core. I would love to see a good write up on testing one :)

If not, in a month I will share my results.

·
Registered
294 Posts

I'm with you on that. There's better places to spend big money on a turbo car than on a intercooler. I've read of too many guys making big power and going really fast with cheapo intercoolers. I'm going with the cheap frozenboost a/w on my setup Water to Air Intercoolers , and i expect to see close to if not over 1000rwhp.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am open to using a garrett core, i just dont know where to find one and i havent looked. i have no doubt that the ebay cooler works and will run a fast time at the track. the way i look at things is from a resale standpoint. an ebay cooler is worth basically nothing to me for resale and is not appealing to any potential buyers. plus i am an avid supporter of the phrase "you get what you pay for"

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I sold a smashed version of the same intercooler for $80 after I rolled forward on my trailer and hit the jack on the front of the trailer.

I think that is a reasonable resale value.

If you really want one I can get you the info on the Garrett core.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Im looking for a good air to air intercooler that will support over 800whp. I have been looking at one from Precison turbo, but they only claim it will support 825hp and its the biggest one they offer. It also has 2 3/4" inlet and outlet. So im not so sure that will be what I really need. Ill be running a Precision billet 7675CEA and it has a 3" outlet on the compressor side. Right now I plan to run 3" pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body. The cooler itself is 3 1/2" thick though. So im not sure if the smaller inlet and outlet of this cooler would be a real restriction or not. I really wish it had 3" instead and im going to be using v-band connections. Im open to any other possibilities but I dont want to spend more than $700 for one
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts
Don't know what year is your Mustang but here is a pic of the Precision 825hp intercooler that is mounted behind my 86 bumper cover.

I tilted it because i was adamant on even trimming the nose at all. My car made 790rwhp with a loose converter and max'ed my 1000cc injectors on E85 behind a TH400. If you do the math on the injectors and hp, that is over 1000hp at the crank. The Precision intercooler works fine and i was able to fit it behind the bumper cover without any trimming. 3" pipes fit just fine. At the same time, Mike's less expensive intercooler works just as well. I am not sure how much trimming you will need to do on the bumper cover though. I didn't pick out the Precision intercooler, it was included as part of my custom kit from B&G.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I almost got a precision one, but wanted the larger core and the higher hp rating. I call it the ebay one because everyone does but buy it from raceparts and call it the raceparts one haha.
I got mine from VS racing.

Does sound cooler to say you have a fancy one though!

-Chris

1 - 20 of 62 Posts