Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all aftermarket suspension on my car,no OEM ford suspension parts remain. (tubular K member/A arms, bilstein shocks/struts, H&R race springs, Maximum motorsports: SFC,LCA,PHB,Torque arm,swaybars,CC plates)

I understand i will get increased road noise (NVH), but what about popping/clunks? Is this also a characteristic of aftermarket suspension? I get popping and clunk sounds from the front end when i hit a large pothole, or if i'm going up a steep driveway and i take it at an angle. I also get some sounds when turning the steering wheel to full lock. But for the most part, on decent roads, i dont get any wierd sounds, its pretty smooth and quiet.

Just wondering if i should put it back up in the air and double check or re-torque everything, or if this is a normal thing with aftermarket suspension.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here is my story, take what you want from it....

I have the entire Maximum Motorsports Maximum Grip suspension kit under my '91 Fox. I am NOT using the rear coil overs, instead, using the adjustable lower arms they make. I have ZERO clunking or popping issues, with the exception of an ever-so-slight bump sound when I am really dumping the clutch or super hard on the brakes. This is the super tiny bit of slop being taken up at the torque arm mount. In all other driving situations besides those occasional extremes, the suspension is dead quiet. I hear more NVH sound from my aftermarket Pro 5.0 shifter and the drone of the stupid Flowmasters than I do on any of the suspension pieces.

On top of that, the ride is about 300% better than factory, especially in the rear.

I would recommend that $4500 kit to anyone with money to burn. It has been fantastic.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I also have nearly the entire MM catalog on my 93. Delrin bushings up front....No extreme noise. Really bad roads are kinda noisy, but they're not much worse in the Mustang than in my '06 330i. Both on 300treadwear street tires.

It won't/doesn't hurt to check out your stuff once in awhile.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you're getting popping or clunking, something isn't installed or tightened right.
This.

What you described up front, I'd check out the ball joints and tie rod ends first, as they tend to clunk or pop when they're dead. Sometimes, you'll see the same issues in regards to lower control arm bushings, so thats another option.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
One other thing i forgot to mention is that i am not running any spring isolators in the front. And when i tightened the strut bolt at the CC plate, i just hit it with my impact until about 5 or so threads stuck through the nut (which was the same as it was before all the new stuff got installed) , so i assumed it would be at the correct torque value. What torque spec is that bolt? Also, ive got polyurethane steering rack bushings

1 - 6 of 6 Posts