Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a 410W, It seems the Moroso pan with the billet ends is the one that is recommended a lot on here, but I don't see them having crank scrapers or windage trays? I see they sell a windage tray separately for around $70 and the stud kit for another $100, so an extra $170. I was going to buy the Moroso 20534 Road Race baffled pan since it's only a few dollars more than their standard pan...(except for Summit which charges another $100 more than Jegs). So with a windage tray your looking at almost $600.
Any one tried a Champ pan before? Or even the Jegs pan? The Jegs is inexpensive and has baffling, windage tray & crank scraper. I know they don't have Billet ends on the cheaper ones.
Thoughts? Opinions?

$302- https://www.champpans.com/products/p/cp351fox/

• a rear sump
  • one crank scraper
  • an aluminum louvered windage tray
  • a diamond-shape trapdoor system for launch and braking
  • a dipstick provision
  • a clear zinc finish

$240- Baffled, windage tray, crank scraper. - JEGS 50291: Street & Strip Oil Pan Small Block Ford 351W | JEGS

Moroso pans
$402 – Moroso 20520: Street/Strip Oil Pan Ford 351W | JEGS

$420- Oil Pan, Road Race, Baffled, Rear Wet Sump, 7 qts., Steel, Zinc Iridited, Ford, Mercury, 351W, Each. Summit wants over $500 for this one Jegs is much cheaper.
Moroso 20534: Road Race Oil Pan Ford 351W | JEGS

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I like Champ, I like Moroso, I like B+B, and I'm okay with Milodon. I have no idea what Jegs sells but, if it's "cheap" it's probably Chinese...but it says "Made in USA" on the page....so budget for a $50 pickup.. Chinese pans have had a lot of quality issues in the past, no idea how they are now.

I'd run Chinese before I'd run Canton.....then again, I'd leave the pan off and let the motor burn up before I'd run Canton.

And an "expensive" pan can be a lot cheaper when it fits and doesn't leak.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I use Canton 15-670

Reactions: S351Saleen77

·
Registered
623 Posts
Comes with a scraper

·
Registered
623 Posts
Only issue I had with it is, the first one I had couldn’t keep the connecting rod in! Lmao.

·
Vendor
12,474 Posts
Arent putting main studs in it to begin with regardless of pan? Pans that dont leak is first on my checklist and the only ones that consistently dont leak and all the bolt holes line up are the fabricated moroso pans. All those other pans are just stock pans they cut the front or rear sumps off and weld on something else. Alot of flimsy junk. One common theme with the pans is the 4 corners. They are almost always ripped and torn when stamped, then welded and ground back down. Not uncommon when you bolt it down, these corners can tear and split open again. You can see it here. Not picking on this particular pan, but all these stamped ones are basically the same.

I use moroso only unless i am told to use something else.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I use Canton 15-670
I have the Canton 15-694 on my 427w. Choice of my engine builder as I chose to let him put a custom cam into my short block and button up the bottom end. Seems like a nice unit - comes with a scraper, baffle & trap doors.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have the Canton 15-694 on my 427w. Choice of my engine builder as I chose to let him put a custom cam into my short block and button up the bottom end. Seems like a nice unit - comes with a scraper, baffle & trap doors.
Nice. I have had two of the Canton pans. Never had a leak or broken one except an i beam rod shooting out the side. I don’t know of any pan that can withstand that

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arent putting main studs in it to begin with regardless of pan? Pans that dont leak is first on my checklist and the only ones that consistently dont leak and all the bolt holes line up are the fabricated moroso pans. All those other pans are just stock pans they cut the front or rear sumps off and weld on something else. Alot of flimsy junk. One common theme with the pans is the 4 corners. They are almost always ripped and torn when stamped, then welded and ground back down. Not uncommon when you bolt it down, these corners can tear and split open again. You can see it here. Not picking on this particular pan, but all these stamped ones are basically the same.

I use moroso only unless i am told to use something else.
Thanks for the info, no leaks is a great thing!
I just got a deal on a freshly built 410 shortblock that I couldn’t pass up. It has main bolts instead of studs, I heard that you can’t swap to studs unless you get the mains realign honed. So I was questioning even using the windage tray studs, although I did it years ago on a 289 and never had any issues.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: pkstang

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the Ford Performance pan on my 408W. Same pan they use on the crate engines. Has windage built into as well.

Nice I forgot about that pan! Did you have any issues with it like the windage tray? It seems like since they use is on their crate engines it wouldn't have any problems at all. The only review on your link wasn't good.
"Other than the welds look like they were done by a 6 year old and it not being a simple bolt on.... I went with this because of the rod and custom set up I have... Been trying to fight with it all day and find out where the windage tray is hitting so I can grind it out to make it fit.. So not happy with having to go thru this headache for such a expensive part"

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
No mention of stroke in the complaint. I'd guess they made it for a 351, not a 438. Ford Racing does some dumb stuff.

For example. We bought the rights to the 5.315 Trans-Am Rods. A short while later they made 347 kits with a 5.2?? Pinto rod.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
No mention of stroke in the complaint. I'd guess they made it for a 351, not a 438. Ford Racing does some dumb stuff.

For example. We bought the rights to the 5.315 Trans-Am Rods. A short while later they made 347 kits with a 5.2?? Pinto rod.
I have the FRPP version of the canton road race pan. It looks like a modified stock pan and has the trap doors around the back pickup and beveled rear sump. It fits fine and was one of the few pans that would clear my longtubes. Was this a pan you had issues with before?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the FRPP version of the canton road race pan. It looks like a modified stock pan and has the trap doors around the back pickup and beveled rear sump. It fits fine and was one of the few pans that would clear my longtubes. Was this a pan you had issues with before?
The Ford pan is used on their 427W & 460W stroker crate engines. I'm glad to hear you had no issues and it fit with your long tubes.

The guy having problems with the windage tray was from a review on the link that was given to CJ Pony parts, the only review of the pan on there. I was thinking that this pan should have no issues fitting but this guy had a review stating he had issues.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
On the Ford pan, I found these Q&A & reviews on Summit to be more informative than the one CJ review (one-up reviews are useless, most often only those with a bad experience post reviews.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the Ford pan, I found these Q&A & reviews on Summit to be more informative than the one CJ review (one-up reviews are useless, most often only those with a bad experience post reviews.)

Thanks! Yes much better info!!(y)

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
7,914 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts