Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background first. I've had my 2000 GT since new and have added practically every bolt on possible over the past 2 decades (including 4:10s). Its had its up and downs over the years and right now it is in pretty good shape with 91,000 miles. Still gets complements when I am out and about. I am getting the itch to start modding again and have done a few things recently: new headlights, lowered it another 3/4", and some new floor mats. Its a quick car with a best of 13.3 in the 1/4 mile at 101 mph, but that was a long, long time ago (2003).

I am itching for more power. New mustangs come stock with 460hp compared to my car, at best, around 285hp. I really don't want to drop $20k+ plus on a used mustang or spend $5k on a new supercharger for a car only worth $4k. I would like some advice on finding and installing a used supercharger unit. I have poked around, but given the age of the car, used systems seem hard to come by. Has any one done this in the last few years? I am not looking for big power. I would be happy with 50-75hp, especially given the mileage on the engine.

I am trying to find a "low cost" solution. I stumbled across this really old link with some good info.
$1500 96-04GT Supercharger kit "how its done"

Thoughts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don’t be scared of your mileage. That’s low miles for a 4.6L.

Evaluate what type of power adder you want nitrous (would easily fit your above budget), supercharger (several different types), or a turbo.

if you are saving for a used system it is going to take lots of patience. I would frequent all the listing sites and run down all the big ticket items (s/c head unit, bracket, piping). Expect it to take several months to piece together to build a kit under 2k.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's possible to do cheap. I'd suggest spending more for the self contained head units, which saves you money on the oil lines, and headache and unreliability of tapping an oil pan.

If you're interested, I have a Vortech aftercooler for sale with a Vortech BOV welded (flange) to the tube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am interested in just a basic vortech supercharger. Seems like there are a lot of parts availabe for them. The newer self contained units would be best, but at this point I am not that picky. Finding a used supercahrger and all of its parts for a 20 year old car (that was never that popular) is not easy and gets harder every year. Any ideas on good places to look for used units? There is a power adders classified here at corral.net, craigslist, and ebay. Others?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a complete Vortech system (non inter-cooled, oil feed) for $1,500 two years ago on eBay. I have 130,000 miles on my 03, daily drive my car and have had zero issues in those two years and beat the snout of of it. A Vortech or Pro Charger is a common upgrade for these cars, and as such used systems are out there and you can get a good deal if you know how to look for them.

What worked for me was several things actually, first go to every Mustang forum and look at the for sale sections. I found a Novi 2000 system on one of the forums, but decided against it as I felt it was too large of a system. Second log onto Facebook and join every Mustang group you can find, especially the ones selling stuff. I saw a few good deals there. Third, use eBay. I bid on two Vortech systems, both had starting bids at $2,000, only to be outbid at the last minute. I tried Craigslist search engines, that never worked well for me.

If you want a good deal, you will have to be aggressive, have money in hand, ready to make a deal and stay glued to eBay, the forums and the Facebook groups, you will have to check every thing at least once a day, and be patient. It took me two months of hardcore, dedicated all out searching. There are good deals out there, you will have to spend them time to look for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts