Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. from day 1 i have noticed some smoke coming from my tail pipes. at the time i figured it was the valve guide/ seals in the heads. since then i now have a brand new mmr short block and totally new heads. new seals and bronze guides. im still getting smoke coming from the exhaust. it seems that some times are worse then others. im pretty sure now that its the turbo. when i installed the new motor last month i didnt notice and oil in exhaust side or down pipe.

i did some searching and see a lot of turbos require a restrictor fitting should i try this out? if so any idea what size fitting?

P.S. turbo has about 7000 miles on it. shaft play is perfect. its a on3 brand.

thanks for the help

brett

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I may give something like that a shot. And see if that improves the smoking issues.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I called treadstone and got the proper restrictor from them...

for some reason, my car make enough oil pressure to make 3 different turbos smoke on my car...

I now have a comp billet and for safety, I bought a scavenger pump as well...

·
Registered
299 Posts
used the same flange/restrictor on my turbo from day one. never a problem. 3year still going strong.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Make sure your venting the crankcase properly as well, often takes larger fittings and lines or breathers on the valve covers. Too much crankcase pressure under boost will restrict the oil gravity drain to the pan and push oil past the seals in the turbo. I wouldn't run a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo unless you see more than 60-70psi oil pressure at wot. And if you do run one, should be no smaller than .06 ish.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure your venting the crankcase properly as well, often takes larger fittings and lines or breathers on the valve covers. Too much crankcase pressure under boost will restrict the oil gravity drain to the pan and push oil past the seals in the turbo. I wouldn't run a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo unless you see more than 60-70psi oil pressure at wot. And if you do run one, should be no smaller than .06 ish.
Im not sure if I can vent it any more. I already got 5/8 hoses on each valve cover to a jazz catch can w/breather on top. I am experiencing smoke/oil vapor coming from breather on catch can at idle though

·
Registered
753 Posts
What size is the breather filter on the catch can though? If your routing both covers to the can, your going to want a large neck on the filter, at least 2" or so to vent properly.

Also might want to check the hotside and coldside of the turbo for leaking and maybe a leak down test on the cylinders, some smoking for is normal for coldstart ring blowby and condensation, but if its excessive you may have a bigger probem.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The hole on the catch can is small maybe 1/2in -5/8in ten the filter sits around that filter is about 2inches across. Should I widen that hole to 2 inches or so and put filter on top of that?

Turbo is fine. No leaking at all I took both housing off and inspected it. Looks good

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah I would, trying to let out both covers vent through one filter opening that size can be a restriction, it wouldnt hurt. You can find all kinds of size opening breathers on ebay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts