Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post from an oldster with a 79 Capri (owned since new). Have installed a new moderate 357 with Tremac. 8.8 rear with 3:55s (thinking 410s). Still a 4 bolt wheel car. Car has a full road race cage and Griggs torque arm rear. Have a window net and driveshaft loop.
> What wheel tires (race only) will fit the Capri rear (blisters, not Mustang flares)? What wheel backspacing?
>Are there safety rules at NHRA track concerning 4 lugs?
>Rules requiring c clip eliminators? (which I do not have)
>I have a rear mount battery with a thru the bumper "push for off" batt disconnect. OK?
>Do not plan to spray but motor should spin to 7K. Carbureted with edelbrock victor jr heads. roller hyd cam, 10:1cr. Hoping for 11s. Reasonable?

I have not drag raced since colleage ('63 Falcon sport coupe, 289). Looking forward to it. Any advice appreciated. Trivia, I retired from Ford in Dbn as a engine engineering Supervisor. Last assignment, responsible for 4.0L V6 (Cologne built engine).
Thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
First post from an oldster with a 79 Capri (owned since new). Have installed a new moderate 357 with Tremac. 8.8 rear with 3:55s (thinking 410s). Still a 4 bolt wheel car. Car has a full road race cage and Griggs torque arm rear. Have a window net and driveshaft loop.

> What wheel tires (race only) will fit the Capri rear (blisters, not Mustang flares)? What wheel backspacing?

15x8.5's with a 5.5 inch back spacing for wheels. If you run a 28" tire you will need to due some massaging (BFH) of the inner fender well, and roll out the fender a little bit. A 26" inch tire should work with no modifications.
>Are there safety rules at NHRA track concerning 4 lugs?

Your 4 lugs will pass tech. I have a Strange rear end package with 4 lug pattern, and 5/8 studs. Strange told me I shouldn't have any issues until low 8's
>Rules requiring c clip eliminators? (which I do not have)

It has been awhile since I know the exact rule, but I think C-clip eliminators are required at 10.99

>I have a rear mount battery with a thru the bumper "push for off" batt disconnect. OK?

Yes

>Do not plan to spray but motor should spin to 7K. Carbureted with edelbrock victor jr heads. roller hyd cam, 10:1cr. Hoping for 11s. Reasonable?

4.10s with a 26" Tire, 4.30's with a 28" tire

I have not drag raced since colleage ('63 Falcon sport coupe, 289). Looking forward to it. Any advice appreciated. Trivia, I retired from Ford in Dbn as a engine engineering Supervisor. Last assignment, responsible for 4.0L V6 (Cologne built engine).
Thank you.
Hope this helps,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Heartbreaker:
The ratio-tire link is based on getting a good launch or rpm thru the traps? I have a Liberty modified tremac with a close 5th gear. I suppose I could use
5th if needed.
More trivia, the very early '79cars (mine) had aluminum bumpers for making an emission weight class. Replaced with steel as soon as realized the car made the class with steel. My car also has aluminum brake drums in the rear off of the '79 2.3L turbo Cobras. Thanks again for your very useful info.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I would look more at just getting back into fun racing then work myself into a NHRA/NMRA class. It will give you more seat time this way. Also the trivia!! Are you wanting us to guess age or when you retired? Most guys on this board dont even know what a 63 falcon looks like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would look more at just getting back into fun racing then work myself into a NHRA/NMRA class. It will give you more seat time this way. Also the trivia!! Are you wanting us to guess age or when you retired? Most guys on this board dont even know what a 63 falcon looks like.
Yes, I am really planning on running "test and tune", not competitive racing. Hopefully I will get plenty of passes. The car is headed back to the street sooner or later.

Retired 4 years ago. Putting the 4.0L in the 2005 Mustang was my last big assignment.
The Falcon was a sport coupe slightly different than a Futura, but with the staight (instead of curved) C pillar. 289 with stock bottom end and stock C4. 9" rear out of '57 Ford, 5:14 gears. Went thru the lights at 103mph, 7200rpm. Decided to check brgs, and had a main cap come off in two pcs.(!). No wonder the oil pressure fluctuated on the last pass. Crank when magnifluxed was cracked in 5 places. Guy said he had never seen one like that. No money or real parts avail back in the early 70s. Bought the car from one of the experimental engine mechanics for $1000 in perfect condition. Paid an extra $100 for a alum case T10 which I never used. When I started with the Capri, I did things like make a bellhousing to mount a toploader as NO parts avail in aftermarket. Now, like heaven out there.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
LOL i know what a falcon is hehehe. I dont think people ever really retire, at least not ones that live any.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome back to racing from another older guy who just got back into it. We used to have a local track "back in the day" and I spent every Sunday there during my youth. Then at the end of the '77 season the track closed and that ended my racing.

Last year was the first time in 30 years I'd been to the track and it was still as much fun as I remembered. I spent all of last year just doing test and tunes to get the bugs worked out of both the car and the driver.

This year I'm running in the Friday night street races for points and having so much fun it should be illegal. It's small time racing, nothing fancy, but the guys are great and we all have a good time.

You'll be wondering why you waited so long to get back into racing, I know I do.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Oh yeah, I had a 65 falcon, 2 door with 4 speed...my dad crashed it for me. That was years ago, but I still get bummed about it sometimes. But you really need to get to the track, you never lose the urge to race. I'm going to Norwalk OH this weekend for the "fords at the summit" event.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, now I am confused about what tires to use. I was planning to buy the Summit weld look-alikes, 15x8 w 5.5back spacing and mounting 26x10 Mickey slicks. I was hoping to run 12psi or so and avoid tubes. Now I just read a thread that claimed drag radials work as well as slicks(!). No one jumped on that..Tell me it is not true. Or if it is, what DRs to buy. As a former road courser, I know how the hot tires change constantly.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What they failed to mention is the amount of tuning time involved to get the drag radials to hook as well as they do. They do hook pretty well, and dont "walk" like a slick on the big end, however a slick will still hook the best, especially on a manual tranny car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They also make "Radial Drag Slicks" now. Supposed to be faster. I now all the legal "Stockers" are running them now. For a dedicated Trailered Drag Car its still hard to beat a regular old bias ply slick of your favorite brand if you dont need the last 0.03 of a second like a NHRA Stock.

Cant really tell you on correct tire offset for a Capri.

PS that Hydraulic Roller may not want to go all the way to 7000 rpm. We used to max them out around 6600-6900 rpm depending on the ramp rates at least with factory lifters. More spring collapsed the lifters. Softer ramps hurt average power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts