Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone here please help me out here? I am ordering some front runners and don't know what the main advantage of having a bias ply tire, like the ET front and Moroso tire.

I run a bias ply et street in the back and i heard it is good to match the fronts. They are 3 times the price though. I can get a kumho 165 radial for 40 each and the M/T et fronts are like 130 each! wow. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have a set of et fronts on my monocoques and a set of mastercraft 165 radials on my welds. I can not tell a difference between the two from a stability standpoint. I'm going through the traps just under 120 though, so there may be a noticeable difference at higher trap speeds. The main advantage I can see between the two is weight.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I did back to back runs with my street radials/street lites vs. mt drag front/bogarts and saw no et or mph difference. The mt felt slightly better on the big end but hardly a noticable difference.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
There are three advantages.

1 is that there is a bigger selection of tire sizes. When you get into index racing and bracket racing, it helps to be able to use different size front tires to get better reaction times. In my case, I run a 24" tall by 4.5" wide Moroso front tire. This helps me cut .02 reaction times on the .400 pro tree. Basically the different tire sizes give you different rollout distances in the beams.

2 is safety. The moroso/MT tires are built to handle the high speeds whereas a 165R15 radial tire is only officially rated at like 95 mph.

3 is the stability at the higher speeds when running an ET Street/ET Drag type tire out back. Yes I noticed a difference at the top end of the track running 125 plus mph.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I notice a huge difference on the road and at the track with a matched set front to rear. With the radials up front they are moving all over the place on the hi-way, worse yet at the track. I notice it at about 100+ at the track, I am always trying to correct.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im all about the saftey on the top end. This car is scarey enough coming off the line. I will probably go with the m/t fronts. What do you all prefer does 26" tall rub? I can go with a 25" also, but I would think 24" would be too small.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Im all about the saftey on the top end. This car is scarey enough coming off the line. I will probably go with the m/t fronts. What do you all prefer does 26" tall rub? I can go with a 25" also, but I would think 24" would be too small.
26" is the common size and gives more rollout for those bracket racers that may be a little quick on the tree. It doesn't rub, basically 26" is about the same height as a 165R15 radial.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well from a tire guy... the technicality of it is, the cheapo radial is rated to 108mph (s/t) rated... but on flip side that is suppose to be able to sustain that speed consistent for 1 hour. The reason the radial/bias seems to be a bit squirly is radial belting and bias belting (hence name other than steel vs nylon) go different directions one goes across tire.. other is diagonal (in other words both react differently to flex and fight each other) same reason you shouldnt mix and match trailer tires it'll walk all over the road. A short pass on a strip is hard to notice till very top end. But if you drive it too and from track have fun :rofl:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason the radial/bias seems to be a bit squirly is radial belting and bias belting (hence name other than steel vs nylon) go different directions one goes across tire.. other is diagonal (in other words both react differently to flex and fight each other) same reason you shouldnt mix and match trailer tires it'll walk all over the road. :rofl:
Thanks for the input that is a good explanation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts