Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to pull the trigger sooner than I thought on my front tire purchase and i've been crunching some numbers....probably just confusing myself even more.

I currently have 18" wheels on the car. The financial con's are that 18" tires are re-donk-ulously priced. 17's in the same width are much more budget friendly.

From my calculations, I can purchase some 17x9/10 wheels, put the Kumho XS's on them for about 300 more dollars than to just replace my current 18" tires(all four corners obviously).

I'm pretty sure the car will ride better, but is there honestly anything to be gained/lost from the extra inch of wheel? I don't have gi-normous brakes, so clearance isn't an issue there.

PS, for those that have price an XXX width wide 18" tire and compared it to an XXX width 17" tire.....it's like 100$ per tire. :mad:

Thanks for the help/advice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think you pretty much answered your question why pple go with 17's... they are in more OEM production vehicles which drastically reduces the price in making the tires..

anything not in volume or exotic sizes and expect to pay an arm and a leg..

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thats what I figured....but didn't know if some engineering type would give me some out-landish data on circumference/weight/rotational bla bla bla.... ;)

My initial non-educated(read: redneck)reasoning was that, "They put 18's on the Cobra R for SOME reason."

·
Registered
77 Posts
so you are saying its cheaper to put tires on an 18 inch? Road race tires?

The only reason to go bigger is for bigger brakes, that is it.

--17's, by nature of inch smaller will be lighter if you compare apples to apples.
--17's, by smaller tires will be cheaper in price
--I run 13inch 4piston alcons in the front of my stang, got my good brakes and smaller tire.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tires I buy are/would be my only set. So I need them to be daily driven on(occasionally), and also be my track/comp. tires.

It is cheaper to just put 18" tires on my current wheels. However, going to 17's NOW.....will make it cheaper in the long run since tires are the biggest part of my replacement pieces.

So yea, it's pay a little more now, pay alot less later on.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
From my calculations, I can purchase some 17x9/10 wheels, put the Kumho XS's on them for about 300 more dollars than to just replace my current 18" tires(all four corners obviously).
You'll get all of that "$300 more" back when you sell your 18" wheels, too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
In back to back to back tests of 16's, 17's and 18's on the same day using the same model, treadwidth and diameter tires , the 17 inch wheels have outperformed 16 and 18 inch wheels. The primary reasons are better weight of the 17's vs the 18's. The taller sidewall of the 17 over the 18 helps to maintain tread contact with the road. The 16's were too mushy and the 18's too stiff.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In back to back to back tests of 16's, 17's and 18's on the same day using the same model, treadwidth and diameter tires , the 17 inch wheels have outperformed 16 and 18 inch wheels. The primary reasons are better weight of the 17's vs the 18's. The taller sidewall of the 17 over the 18 helps to maintain tread contact with the road. The 16's were too mushy and the 18's too stiff.
Then it's settled. I'll spend the extra dough. Thanks!

You'll get all of that "$300 more" back when you sell your 18" wheels, too.
I hope!

·
Registered
77 Posts
that is a great report!! thanks, I have 17x10 on all four corners, not changing now!! LOL

:joy:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aren't there wider choices in tires for such a wide rim? (285,295....even 315?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not an issue for you probably, but on S197 mustangs:

I bought 5Zigen FNO1R-C 17x10 with 35 offset. Ran them last weekend, there was a slight grinding of the rear swaybar mounting point and the inside of the wheel. Only under full compression/full rebound.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those 5Zigen's are most likely lighter, but I don't think I can afford teh "Import Tax" on them. ;) I'm stuck with heavy replica's.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, thats what I figured....but didn't know if some engineering type would give me some out-landish data on circumference/weight/rotational bla bla bla.... ;)

My initial non-educated(read: redneck)reasoning was that, "They put 18's on the Cobra R for SOME reason."
the 18's were to clear the Brembo's that came on the R. thats the only reason. i second the go with 17's idea. i and the 17x9/17x10.5 setup with sumitomo HTRZ's and HTRZ2's which are about 100 bucks a peice. the tread wear is 180 rear and 220 front so they are kinda soft but not overly so since its a street car. i like them alot.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Cool, thanks.

I sold the 18's and tires yesterday for 700 bucks. That'll be enough to pay for the 4 new 17" wheels and about 1 NT-05 tire. I ended up choosing the Nitto because it was about 8$ cheaper per tire than the Kumho XS. Eight bucks doesn't sound like much(nor does 32 bucks savings for all four), but I am on a budget and this expenditure wasn't really planned.

Another reason was that the Nitto's look like they can be flipped on the rim and provide the same performance. The XS's seem to have outside tread specific design. With me running -1.5 street camber, i'd like to be able to flip the tires on the rim 1/2 way through their use to get the most from them.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They do? I don't forsee myself going to bigger rotor/caliper, but if what I get cleared them....cool.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts