Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to install my stock cam back into the engine now. I know people have retarded or advanced the stock cam with turbo motors, but I am not familiar, nor know which to do. Here is my combo:

-Incon 800tti
-TFS TW Stage 1 o-ringed heads
-1.6 Rockers with stock cam
-Holley intake
-5-speed
-36lb injectors, for now

Give me some advice on this.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must clarify cam advance or retard with adjustable timing chain.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
if you are degreeing the cam, just set it up regular 0 degree....if you have installed the cam and are ready to run with it, advance it 6 degrees.........hope that helps friend...wyominghotwheels

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure about advancing it 6 degrees? I am getting a lot of responses to retard it 4 degrees elsewhere. Anybody else? :confused:

·
Registered
182 Posts
im not sure what wyominghotwheels is talking about...

But anyways, yea, retard it 4 degress. It will help turbo spool up, thats the general consensus on turbomustangs.com

Shaun

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't advance it! Just retard it 2-4 degrees to move the powerband up just a hair, or just by an f cam.:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
When you guy's are saying retard timing 6 degrees. Do you mean base timing to -6 or base timing at 10 degrees and retard it 6 degrees to 4 degrees base timing? Just wondering because I have a PMS and i'm about to yank it off and run it without it. My numbers are really low and I think it is because of the PMS and my tuning abilities with the unit. My car has forged 306, f-cam, rpm heads and intake with the cartech ss kit at 13psi. Look at my numbers in sig and let me know what you think. Thanks for any help. -Jeff

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
they are talking about cam timing, not ignition timing!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have mine installed straight up.

I went back to a stock cam from a crane 2031 because the torque was insane and I could never hook at 3500-4500

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
mitch, retarding the cam effectively moves the power band up. if you were wanting more top end and less bottom end then retarding the cam would have a beneift. in a stock cam incon combo, you already have plenty of bottom end, retarding the cam would move the power peak up and allow more rpm, allowing the stock cam to have a broader power range

·
Registered
105 Posts
You're talking about WOT. What about the other (90%) of the time when you are not at WOT? Retarding the stock cam will not help make for a nice street driver. Unless we're talking about a strip only car? If you want a broader power band or more RPM, then use a different cam.

Mitch

·
Registered
105 Posts
WhooshStang said:
Really? Why exactly is that?
Exactly why? Because you will have to use more throttle to give the same power at lower engine speeds plus you won't gain enough on the top end to justify this.

Mitch

·
Registered
714 Posts
lol .. mitch is makeing a opinion based on what he thinks.

you can retard the stofck cam 6 degrees and the car will easily be just as driveable every single say.

I have seen it doen and done it myself many times. with absolutley NO adverse afects on driveing

·
Registered
105 Posts
lol .. mitch is makeing a opinion based on what he thinks.

Now how do you know that? You know nothing about me: how long I've been involved in motorsports, my experience, the people I speak with and what I've done. Saying this is my opinion based on what I think presumes a lot.

you can retard the stofck cam 6 degrees and the car will easily be just as driveable every single say.

I have seen it doen and done it myself many times. with absolutley NO adverse afects on driveing

Everyone has a different opinion on what is tolerable. For those who are going to do mostly street driving, you do not want to run the stock cam retarded four or six degrees. Maybe you do.

you will have to use more throttle to give the same power at lower engine speeds plus you won't gain enough on the top end to justify this

This is absolutely true and is based on more than just opinion.

·
Registered
714 Posts
umm mitch im not talking tolarable.. it makes ZERO DIFFERANCE retarding the cam actualy makes for a LOWER possible idle and better driveability for a given cam especialy if its a wilder cam

itis NOT TRUE you will have to give more throttle it simply isnt... you will not in anyway need to give your car any more throttle then you usualy do when you are just driveing normaly.

maybe if you wer towing a heavy load you would notice the diferance but you would not notice it just driving normaly. .

·
Registered
12 Posts
MitchB, tell it like it is!

Do you believe that any of these guys have any proof to substantiate the benefits of advancing or retarding the cam?

I would love to hear from someone who has actually tried this.

Until then I'll poke along with my Crane 2031 straight up.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dman344 uses a stock cam retarded 4 degrees, otherwise his car would run out of steam and not keep up with the rest of his setup. He went 6.60 @ 107mph with that and the stock shortblock manually shifting the tremec before the motor finally broke...anyways, it worked out good for him apparently (cool car too)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts