Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a pa c4 auto in my 93 lx.the friggin hurst 1/4 stick cable is a bear to adjust,its touchy as hell.there is only 1 fine adjuster down at the trans,and man i am so close to being on the money,but i cant get it right.anybody use any other cable or any other solution.thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
pull the shifter all the way back and the lever on the trans all the way back than adjust the cable so slides in and out of the hole easily that should get you dead on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i just put a pa c4 auto in my 93 lx.the friggin hurst 1/4 stick cable is a bear to adjust,its touchy as hell.there is only 1 fine adjuster down at the trans,and man i am so close to being on the money,but i cant get it right.anybody use any other cable or any other solution.thanks

Did it not come with directions?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Thread the stud about 1/2" from the end of the cable. Then adjust the arm on the trans so it goes in be sure not to pull 3rd to far.
Tim

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a glide with a quarter stick, may help though. I believe all shifter adjustments must be made in high gear. Make sure when you switch gears that it totally engages in the gear all by itself. If you can move it in gear with your fingers it needs adjustment. This is from Neal Racing Transmissions:
Shifter Cable Backlash - the Silent Transmission Killer

Some brands of low cost shifters have excessive cable backlash in them due to their poor "one size fits all" construction and cheap Chinese made cables. "Cable Backlash" or in other words, a sloppy cable and gate system can and has led to transmission failure that we've seen happen far too often. A good example is Danny Sample's Outlaw 10.5 Trans Am, this car burnt the transmission up on the chassis dyno due to a cheap shifter that was installed correctly, but had too much backlash.

What happens is the cable adjustment is set with the car in say low gear and when you move the shifter into high it lacks enough travel to move the shifter arm all the way into gear. Move it past high gear to neutral then back and it will drop into place but it's something people usually do not notice UNLESS you are looking for it. In Danny's car we got to looking and found his shifter had over .200" backlash in it which is more than enough to cause improper shifting, especially when combined with poor gate/shifter arm design. The damage a sloppy shifter can cause ($800 - $1200) to a race transmission makes the high quality shifters like the Precision Performance Shifters very price effective in comparison.

Not all cheap shifters have a problem like this, fact is we don't know which brand/models do or do not, what we're saying is check your shifter and make absolutely positive that the gates in the shifter line up perfectly with the all the detents in the transmission - look for the slop in the mechanism and cable that we're describing. If your shifter has it, get it fixed before burning the transmission up. If you don't have a shifter, call us, we'll fix you up with the best setup available.

Shifter cable adjustment should be done in High Gear! You want it adjusted so that there is absolutely no tension on the cable when the shifter lever and the shifter are in High Gear.

If for some reason you have to take the transmission shifter lever off, be aware that you can damage the transmission when doing this. In order to take the arm off, center the lever in neutral, then put some vice grips on the shaft so that you don't put any stress on the inside of the transmission when backing the nut off. Same goes with tightening the nut, you must hold the shaft with something so that when you tighten the nut up it does not twist the shaft. There is a little pin that can be damaged in the transmission if you fail to hold the shaft while tightening or loosening that nut.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shifter

I have a glide with a quarter stick, may help though. I believe all shifter adjustments must be made in high gear. Make sure when you switch gears that it totally engages in the gear all by itself. If you can move it in gear with your fingers it needs adjustment. This is from Neal Racing Transmissions:
Shifter Cable Backlash - the Silent Transmission Killer

Some brands of low cost shifters have excessive cable backlash in them due to their poor "one size fits all" construction and cheap Chinese made cables. "Cable Backlash" or in other words, a sloppy cable and gate system can and has led to transmission failure that we've seen happen far too often. A good example is Danny Sample's Outlaw 10.5 Trans Am, this car burnt the transmission up on the chassis dyno due to a cheap shifter that was installed correctly, but had too much backlash.

What happens is the cable adjustment is set with the car in say low gear and when you move the shifter into high it lacks enough travel to move the shifter arm all the way into gear. Move it past high gear to neutral then back and it will drop into place but it's something people usually do not notice UNLESS you are looking for it. In Danny's car we got to looking and found his shifter had over .200" backlash in it which is more than enough to cause improper shifting, especially when combined with poor gate/shifter arm design. The damage a sloppy shifter can cause ($800 - $1200) to a race transmission makes the high quality shifters like the Precision Performance Shifters very price effective in comparison.

Not all cheap shifters have a problem like this, fact is we don't know which brand/models do or do not, what we're saying is check your shifter and make absolutely positive that the gates in the shifter line up perfectly with the all the detents in the transmission - look for the slop in the mechanism and cable that we're describing. If your shifter has it, get it fixed before burning the transmission up. If you don't have a shifter, call us, we'll fix you up with the best setup available.

Shifter cable adjustment should be done in High Gear! You want it adjusted so that there is absolutely no tension on the cable when the shifter lever and the shifter are in High Gear.

If for some reason you have to take the transmission shifter lever off, be aware that you can damage the transmission when doing this. In order to take the arm off, center the lever in neutral, then put some vice grips on the shaft so that you don't put any stress on the inside of the transmission when backing the nut off. Same goes with tightening the nut, you must hold the shaft with something so that when you tighten the nut up it does not twist the shaft. There is a little pin that can be damaged in the transmission if you fail to hold the shaft while tightening or loosening that nut.
thanks man,i appreciate the info.my directions were sayin to adjust the cable in nuetral?? i will try what you said.if that doesnt work,i will call ya for another shifter. send me your ph number. thanks, brad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to all the guys who responded,thanks.i did pretty much evrything my "directions" said as far as,adjust in high gear etc etc.the problem was the lever on the trans had just a small amount of play.i mean very small,i changed it,viola,fixed.thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts