Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You need a thick liquid, not something exceptionally thin with a low vapor pressure!

A large leak will not seal with brake cleaner. What doesn't evaporate will just flash right through.

If the gap is large, you'll have to coat it with something like grease to make a change.

I know I have a leak. I'm not going to slather it up with grease or anything else as i just don't see the point.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am still not sure you have a leak. You say you have a whistle, how did you confirm that was a leak? Not uncommon that you get a whistle from the blade inside.
1. The top shaft was leaking.
2. I covered up the throttle body arm on the bottom side with my hand and the noise was then muffled.
3. I pinpointed the noise by sticking my ear directly on the side of the throttle body and it is clearly comming from the bottom. Not the sides or top.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I think the real issue is you tried to fix it yourself instead of shipping it back to accufab. They might charge you to fix it now that you messed with it. It would have been worth it to pick the phone up and explain the situation to the receptionist and see if she could send you a shipping label. Not giving them a chance to fix it and complaining about it will get you nowhere.

Accufab has always been more than reasonable with me. On my 4150 throttle body i was having a hard time finding a throttle ball to hook my linkage up to. I called them after searching for one for a week with no luck, and the girl answering the phones told me that they are usually a 10 dollar option that is offered at the time of purchase, but since no one told me about it, they would just put one in the mail for no charge.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think the real issue is you tried to fix it yourself instead of shipping it back to accufab. They might charge you to fix it now that you messed with it. It would have been worth it to pick the phone up and explain the situation to the receptionist and see if she could send you a shipping label. Not giving them a chance to fix it and complaining about it will get you nowhere.

Accufab has always been more than reasonable with me. On my 4150 throttle body i was having a hard time finding a throttle ball to hook my linkage up to. I called them after searching for one for a week with no luck, and the girl answering the phones told me that they are usually a 10 dollar option that is offered at the time of purchase, but since no one told me about it, they would just put one in the mail for no charge.

I did not alter or mess with the tb at all. They would not even send me the seal when I asked them if it was an option.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Sorry, i missread your comment about the TPS. Just get the car tuned with a little leak and send the TB back to them when time permits, if there is a problem, they will take care of it.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry, i missread your comment about the TPS. Just get the car tuned with a little leak and send the TB back to them when time permits, if there is a problem, they will take care of it.
Cool, Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
All throttle bodies will leak some they are not air tight,I've pressure tested 3 different Accufab's and all had some leakage through the shaft and TPS. In my experience very hard to tell where a whitle or sound is really coming from, even if you use a stethoscope which I have with long tube and rod to probe, can be misleading.

To properly test plug off all other areas and put constant pressure into your system and spray with soapy water, or smoke test it.

·
Registered
22,414 Posts
the whistle can come from the IAC holes or the screws that mount it, I had to trim the screws or it would interfere with the blade.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Isn't it bad to have unmetered air entering past the MAF?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Isn't it bad to have unmetered air entering past the MAF?
It is. But i don't think the amount I'm seeing with have any effects on anything.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Did you ever fix the leak or just tune with it? Just curious. Mine leaks horribly. Smoke tested it, it is not a small leak-it is a huge leak, as if there is no seal at all in the shaft bore. Probably why the engine idles weird. Of course the camshaft isn't "stock" but I know that a leak this big isn't helping things any. My other car (2.3 turbo), I removed the TB, disassembled/cleaned it and replaced the seals myself, and it smoke tested perfect but it's an OEM throttle body not an aftermarket part. Now I'm wondering how much they're gonna charge me to fix this one?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I went ahead & called Accufab. The old style F90's had no sealing whatsoever, to they leak. Mine is a BIG leak. I'm fighting some issues with my car while tuning fuel and can't get the lambses to come anywhere close to matching. 10-30% difference between the banks at idle and low speeds. Today just out of curiousity, I was watching the lambse's and they were around 15% difference side to side with the left side being leaner than the right (left=bank 2), stuck my finger over the top of the TPS and they came within 8%. Removed finger, back to 12-15% difference. Tried this several times, I have no way to "seal up" the bottom of the shaft (cant' get to it), but stuffing my finger over the TPS hole makes a difference, indicating that there's a pretty significant air leak there. Smoke tested the engine and there is a leak at the TPS but the big (and I mean huge) leak is from the bottom side of the throttle shaft. Accufab says "it won't affect anything". Bull. Maybe not at full throttle but anytime there's any vacuum it's going to make a difference, period. This is a brand new throttle body that I've had for several years. The new F90's have sealed shafts. Verified with Accufab while on the phone. But there is no indication that they're going to give me any kind of "help" whatsoever, other than "sorry, you probably should buy a new one if the leak bothers you". Now I don't know about you guys but nearly $330 is hard to let go of considering that the one I have IS new. Given the problem, what motivation is there to buy another one from Accufab? Why not Wilson?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've seen pretty much all throttle body's leak a little air through the tps and through the shaft hole and around the shaft hole on the bottom where linkage hooks up to throttle cable. Even the stock throttle body's will leak when smoke tested. Its normal. The whistle will happen with most aftermarket throttle body's. That's normal too.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
My other car is a stock throttle body and I rebuilt the TB with new seals, ZERO leaks (tested at 25 psi and also 20"/hg). It makes a big difference in drivability particularly being turbocharged. BIG difference. With a MAF (or in my case VAM), if there is a boost leak anywhere between the turbo and intake valve, it will cause the MAF (VAM) to think that the engine is ingesting more air than it actually is, thus richens up the mixture. Yeah it can be tuned around, but in my case being a bone stock application, there is little reason to tune it. It works perfect in it's original configuration as long as it ain't leaking. I also have a '93 hatchback 5.0 and it is bone stock, right down to the coil cover. Had a code 41 and 91 pop up a while back so I investigated. Smoke tested it and found a broken plastic vacuum tube at the TAD solenoid, repaired, re-tested and the throttle body doesn't leak a drop-zilch. It might have a teeny tiny bit of a leak but smoke machine didn't show it. I didn't pressurize it, or if there was any pressure it was minimal, probably wouldn't show on a gauge. So it looks to me like they aren't "all" leakers.

I don't have a way to measure the amount of leakage on this thing but it's substantial. When doing a smoke test, it's about the same amount of smoke as when I left the power brake booster hose off. I know that ain't a real good comparison but it's all I have to go on at this point. I also know that even a small vacuum leak can cause problems.

Did some web searching and found lots of complaints of the same exact problem, with the same throttle body.

How a vacuum leak this substantial can't cause some driveability concerns (per accufab) is beyond me. A very small amount of leakage I can understand but this is nowhere near small.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Looks like there are more than a few cases out there of these throttle bodies (of any size) having these issues up until the middle of the last decade. Wonder if anyone with the newer TBs can share if they have or have not had these issues.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts