Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of upset. Brand new out of the box.

The throttle shaft leaks on the bottom and the top. So my tps sensor that has a hole on the top (Like most aftermarket ones do) I fixed the top and then I realized the bottom was leaking. And by leaking I mean I could hear it 10 feet away. Not I did a smoke test and saw a little seepage.

I call accufab and they say to send it in. I'm not doing that. I ask them if they can send me parts and they say no. Then George tells me that they are not going to be 100 percent air tight.

I kind of do not want to order another one in fear this will happen again. Right from the start.

Any recent issues with your Accufabs?? I would not mind going with a Wilson but i'm not sure how complicated the throttle hoodup would be. I would like to utilize my factory cable.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Just curious, why don't you want to send it back in? Mistakes happen, give them a chance to fix them.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is getting tuned on the 9th. I would like to have the issues fixed before then. Also, I'm going to have to pay for the shipping.

I'm not sure the problem will be resolved and I'm scared they will want to charge me for a rebuild ect.

This is my first experience with Accufab but others have had identical issues both with Accufab and the person I am dealing with. The whole '' They are not suppose to be air tight'' statement just scares me.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've always had good luck with my accufab stuff.

Have you talked to them and seeing if they would work with you? When you could expect to have it back, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always had good luck with my accufab stuff.

Have you talked to them and seeing if they would work with you? When you could expect to have it back, etc?
They said about a week turnaround. There in CA. So add 10 days for total shipping time. I personally don't feel I should have to pay anything to get this fixed and I'm worried about putting additional money into it just for them to either want to charge me more or say everything is normal.

I know i'm not giving them to many options to make things right, but at the same time I don't think I should have to. Based off of past issues with the same problem im kind of scared of having the same outcome.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I may just order another one and send this one back to them since I need it in a pinch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Haven't taken it back off yet to see what I could do to fix it yet. Keep us posted on what the fix is, if you don't mind. Thanks

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Is this is new throttle body that you bought? If so I don't think you should have to pay anything either. Maybe try to express how unhappy you are without coming off as a dick or yelling.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this is new throttle body that you bought? If so I don't think you should have to pay anything either. Maybe try to express how unhappy you are without coming off as a dick or yelling.
This is a brand new throttle body. I have had it for about 6 months. Just put it on the car.

Glad you agree with me.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine does the same thing. Haven't taken it back off yet to see what I could do to fix it yet. Keep us posted on what the fix is, if you don't mind. Thanks

Well, To fix the vacuum leak on top of the throttle body I plugged the new TPS I bought with quick steel epoxy then I sealed where the TPS mounts on the TB with a little RTV.

That's when I found I had another leak.

It's probably not THAT big of a deal. But I try to do things the right way. And having a vacuum leak is going to bother me.

Based off of your findings I will NOT be ordering another Accufab TB. I WILL possibly look into Wilson if I decide to get a replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, The screw hole for the TPS (Only one) appears to not be a blind hole. Meaning it goes straight into the throttle body. Not the greatest of my worries but far from a tight seal.

·
Registered
22,413 Posts
all TB will leak at the shaft seal.......its not a problem unless its very noticeable.

My 90mm accufab does as well.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all TB will leak at the shaft seal.......its not a problem unless its very noticeable.

My 90mm accufab does as well.

Thanks for the info.

Do you consider a whistle at 5 or 10 feet away noticeable? there does not seem like there is a lot of air being suctioned in.

·
Registered
22,413 Posts
can you spray water onto the leak, to change the tone?

if its for sure coming from there, I would say its too big.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can you spray water onto the leak, to change the tone?

if its for sure coming from there, I would say its too big.

I sprayed the bottom side of the shaft with brake cleaner. Made a very slight noise difference but no real difference in idle.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so the whistle is not coming from the shaft?
The whistle is defiantly coming from the bottom of the shaft. I had a pretty large vacuum leak from the top (coming from the top of the blade area that goes into the TPS sensor) that I noticed as soon as I started the car. I fixed that one using the method I posted above. There was always a whistling and at first I though it was the blade itself doing it and that there was no vacuum leak,especially after I fixed the leak from the top side where the tps goes. After the top side was fixed. I later learned that the bottom side was leaking as well. It's not as large as the top side was and seems to be a smaller leak causing the whistle.

Picture (Or recall) a BBK Tb whistling sound. Only at idle. That's what it sounds like.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thought you said the tone didn't change, wasn't sure if it was the shaft.

well, send it back and get a new one.
I did say that. Which is why I did not think it was a large leak. When I sprayed it it only changed slightly. And I can't say that the rpm's even changed lol.

Seems like it it the perfect velocity to make that whistling sound but nothing really more.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
You need a thick liquid, not something exceptionally thin with a low vapor pressure!

A large leak will not seal with brake cleaner. What doesn't evaporate will just flash right through.

If the gap is large, you'll have to coat it with something like grease to make a change.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you can hear your intake, then obviously your exhaust is not loud enough.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts