Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's 15 gt got rear ended a couple of weeks ago. Most everything on the rear of the car needs replaced (bumper, tailight, etc...) exhaust. Panel that connects bumper will have to be welded in. Minor outside metal damage, but there is a small crease above 1 door and near the trunk. Deck lid likely being replaced. Body guy says it will have to be painted from doors back to blend it all in.

A shop that I trust is doing the work and the painter is a personal friend, but we all know it's never as good as factory. Maybe when it's first picked up, but a couple years down the road is when you start noticing the difference.

Repairs will be around 11k.

My concern, my wife loves her GT, but I'm worried in a few years she might want something else.

Any idea how much if any the value is effected? It will obviously show up on the car fax.

Opinions?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I had to fight, but I made State Farm buy my wife's car when it had that type of damage. They just took it and gave me enough money to buy a replacement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The problem with cars that have been in accidents is that no matter how small the accident was, people always imagine the worst. My car was about 2 1/2 years old when it was hit. It was parked in a parking lot and I was in the gym exercising when a girl ran into it. Now when I tell that story to people, you'd think I told them I was selling drugs out the car and led the cops on a statewide chase that ended in a fiery explosion, a school bus going over a cliff, millions of dollars in property damage, and 45 casualties...lol, just joking but you get the picture. Accidents, regardless of fault, will diminish the value of your vehicle. Hopefully not enough to seriously impact selling it or trading it in. But there are some places that will not accept a vehicle like that.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
What I had to do was take the car to places like CarMax and get a written offer. I showed the insurance company the car was worth less to me than they could wholesale it for, so they took it and gave me money for a replacement. My wife had less than 500 miles on the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a diminished value appraisal on my 11 Ford Edge Sport. Damage was about 10k, and they cut me a $2,500 check for diminished value. This was with State Farm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just as an FYI, "to my knowledge" Georgia is the only state that I am aware of where your insurance pays for your diminished value. I know this post is 2 months old, but I wanted to point that out. I work in subrogation for an auto insurer and GA is the only state Ive seen where we pay for DV. Any other state it is paid for by the other company. I do not know how this works in single car accidents. Only multi. But I had noticed TomR's posts above and wanted to make this point clear.

Also, total loss thresh holds vary by state. Most require the estimate to be higher than the cost of the value minus the salvage. Or be structurally unsafe or repair to safety standards. $11k on a $33k car wont do it

·
11,039 Posts
It doesn't matter how bad or how minor the collision was, your car is damaged goods and is worth less. Even if it can be totally restored by a pro to be factory-new, its value is reduced because of the collision.

Do some research to determine a number that you are comfortable with, then present the claim to the insurance company. Then fight for it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are still waiting for the car to get done, been a nightmare with a garbage insurance company and body shop!

We apparently have to get an estimate of value when the repairs are done and submit it to the insurance company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts