Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 GT

I am probably going to have to replace the differential spider gears. I figured since I am doing that I would upgrade my axles to 31 spline. Can the ABS tone rings be reused or do I need new ones? I assume that if I can reuse the ones off of my 28 spline that they will fit the new 31 spline?

Any tips for getting them pressed back on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I was told years and years ago that it was unlikely you'd be able to get the tone rings off the old axle without breaking them.

When I put 31-spline SN95 length axles in my car "way back when" I was intending to add ABS, so I had the ABS rings installed on my new axles. I got the tone rings from the dealer, as I recall, but it looks like now you can get aftermarket ones online. I dropped the axles and tone rings off at a machine shop and they successfully pressed them on - no idea how they did it or if it was particularly difficult.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Getting them on is easy, getting them off is the hard part typically. I watched a video on youtube of a guy who removed a set off ford axles. The method he used seemed to work... Ill see if I can find the video.

·
Registered
698 Posts

I have never used this but I think it should work as long as youre smart about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts