Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91' coupe that I believe was originally an automatic and still is. It has a built AOD in it now. But I had some computer problems a while back and bought a remanufactured computer to put in the car. The computer that was in the car when I took it out was an A9L and therefore thats what I replaced it with. However, that may not have been the "original" computer. This car has had at least 3 different motors in it and I dont know the full history of the tranny but as I said above I believe it was originally from the factory an auto. I have read of the A9P computer being more suiteable for an auto car. Was the A9L in both auto and manual cars? If my car was originally one or the other will it not work with the "in-correct" computer? Would it cause problems with trying to run a run/start diagnostic test? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When I converted to mass air I chose the A9L. Have had no problems yet with at least 1 year on that computer. You should be fine with the AOD and A9L combo.

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
In short, you should match a 5-speed computer to the proper 5-speed computer and an auto car to an auto computer. The WOT timing is the same at 3500 Rpms and above and the WOT AFR is the same. But the difference comes from driveability. The 5 speed computer adds logic and settings that prevent the car from stalling. Primarily in the idle air control logic. It also has very different transient fueling. Just made a video this week. Take a look. It shows the calibration differences side by side. And there’s a link under the video for a spreadsheet that highlights the differences and I add some narrative to each.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bumped a thread from 17 years ago to spam your YouTube channel?
You're welcome to feel any way you want about it. I started that channel recently because, to my surprise, there is little to no video-based content out there that shows actual tuning and calibration logic for these fox bodies, or that teaches people specifically how any of the eec-iv logic works. It seems the old school guys that first learned this have moved on and aren't interested in making videos. And the new shops out there don't mess with these cars. So there is a massive gap in knowledge and people are trying to learn. I don't sell anything. I'm not a shop. I'm a hobbyist trying to share knowledge for a new generation of foxbody owners. Most kids these days don't spend nearly as much time digging through pin out diagrams, patent applications, and published books. They want videos. And most people are visual learners. I'm simply trying to share some knowledge using video format. Not meaning to offend anybody. But this topic sparked a ton of questions and feedback on a few facebook groups, so figured I'd drop it on here as well.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You're welcome to feel any way you want about it. I started that channel recently because, to my surprise, there is little to no video-based content out there that shows actual tuning and calibration logic for these fox bodies, or that teaches people specifically how any of the eec-iv logic works. It seems the old school guys that first learned this have moved on and aren't interested in making videos. And the new shops out there don't mess with these cars. So there is a massive gap in knowledge and people are trying to learn. I don't sell anything. I'm not a shop. I'm a hobbyist trying to share knowledge for a new generation of foxbody owners. Most kids these days don't spend nearly as much time digging through pin out diagrams, patent applications, and published books. They want videos. And most people are visual learners. I'm simply trying to share some knowledge using video format. Not meaning to offend anybody. But this topic sparked a ton of questions and feedback on a few facebook groups, so figured I'd drop it on here as well.
I checked out your channel. Lots of good info here for fox body guys using Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. Keep up the good work my man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts