Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 1993 Cobra and in excellent condition. I recently installed a KB 2.1 Flowzilla and It is at a dyno shop getting a tune. Originally there was a problem with the Kenne Bell making any boost at all. The car dynoed at 277hp with zero boost. The shop moved around some vaccum lines and it made 2lbs of boost and gained a few HP. Now the shop says it is making 8lbs of boost but is still making just under 300HP. The pulley is a 3" pulley which is the 10lb pulley. Can anyone with experience with this please offer a suggestion as to why the car isn't making power?

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Is the exhaust system free flowing? Is the air inlet unrestricted? Pump gas I assume. How much timing in the engine. If there is a lot of timing pulled because of detonation, then it does not matter how much boost you make, you will not make power.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have BBK headers, BBK H pipe with high flow cats, and Flowmaster catback. 90mm intake with 90mm LMAF and 75mm TB. 42lb injectors and 255lph fuel pump, all the standard stuff. It's on 93 octane fuel. I'm missing about 50hp I would guess

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was an issue with the vaccum lines. I put on a stock GT crank, but just bought an F150 crank to replace that with. She runs like a champ now.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It was an issue with the vaccum lines. I put on a stock GT crank, but just bought an F150 crank to replace that with. She runs like a champ now.
HP? TQ? EGR delete? Stock cam? Reason I am asking, I have the same setup, been chasing surging issue for a while, trying to see who had this issue and fix

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It dynoed at 304rwhp and 384tq with a gt crank and 7psi. I added an F150 6.5" crank and geezus. Now it hits 11psi and feels much stronger than with the other crank. I am satisfied with it now for sure. The crank made a huge difference. Haven't dynoed it since the crank swap so I'm not sure where it is now, but it's a lot more than the 304 it originally posted. I just purchased a water/meth kit. I'll have it retuned after that install and will post the results.

I have the stock heads and stock cam. I wasn't going to change them out, but this HP thing is a drug and you only crave more. I have heard that too high flowing heads will actually have an adverse effect on a KB though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It dynoed at 304rwhp and 384tq with a gt crank and 7psi. I added an F150 6.5" crank and geezus. Now it hits 11psi and feels much stronger than with the other crank. I am satisfied with it now for sure. The crank made a huge difference. Haven't dynoed it since the crank swap so I'm not sure where it is now, but it's a lot more than the 304 it originally posted. I just purchased a water/meth kit. I'll have it retuned after that install and will post the results.

I have the stock heads and stock cam. I wasn't going to change them out, but this HP thing is a drug and you only crave more. I have heard that too high flowing heads will actually have an adverse effect on a KB though.
My old GT made about that with AFR heads, everything else motor wise was stock. Had the 42lb injectors with 90MM MAF and 255 pump. It was 310hp and 374 tq @ 8PSI. It was a blast to drive, but sold it and got a black 93 cobra, all stock.. Now I have another 93 (teal) that I am modding. I have stock block with KB Flowzilla 2.1, 60 lb deka injectors, boosta pump, with 255 fuel pump. Stock MAF and TB. I know it may be restricting, but I have to get an adapter for my PMAS MAF. I just want it running right, street wise, before I push the envelope.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with getting it to run right before adding too many mods. I had many issues with the install and for a short time I wasn't sure it would ever run again. Finally it's squared away and a blast to drive. If I can help with anything let me know. I ordered an OBD1 to OBD2 adapter and plugged it up to my LMAF. Worked great. Are you planning to run a bigger intake? I made my own. It was pretty simple and saved cash. I have another 90mm LMAF I bought my mistake if you need one

·
Registered
660 Posts
Very interested in the maf, pm me a price..also, yes I do plan run a bigger intake. I am using a tweeter for tuning, so slowly working out issues. How did you make your intake?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered a 90degree aluminum pipe and two 90degree couplers, as well as a reducer coupler from 90mm to 75mm for the TB. I cut the pipe shorter to fit in the fender well and cut the hole in the inner fender larger around to fit the pipe. I got some thin rubber tubing from the hardware store and cut it down the middle, then wrapped it around the hole in the fender I enlarged. The whole thing was maybe 50 dollars or so. It sounds like a pita but it wasn't bad at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I take it in to have the meth kit installed I plan to. I've heard it will eventually lose freon

·
Registered
763 Posts
consider getting the a/c lines with proper crimps

hose clamps is no good.
Good catch, can barely see that...great advice, that current assembly is nowhere near rated for an operational system, low side barely, high side if same setup is just dangerous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts