Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After aligning my car I took it out for a test drive and noticed that my steering wheel is off to the right a little. I dont understand how that happened because I put a small pair of vise grips on the steering shaft and pinned it to the K member to keep everything from moving.

So how do I go about fixing this? Do I take out toe on one side and add some to the other? Do I have to go back and start all over?

I used the string method described to me by MM in order to set the toe and also used their CC guage that works great IMOP.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
That depends if by "toe" you mean "toe in" or "toe out."

If your wheel is off to the right when driving straight, that means your wheels would point slightly left if the wheel was straight, meaning you need to adjust them so that they point slightly more to the right. That means more toe in on the driver's side, and more toe out on the passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Toe out the side the wheel points to and toe the other side in the exact same amount of turns. If it's just a little off try half a turn at a time.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
To elaborate on MFE's post, take a paint pen or something that will write on metal and make a mark on each tie rod across the adjustment area and make sure you always move one side in, the other out.

This will straighten the wheel right up and is what a lot of alignment technicians do if the wheel isn't straight on a test drive (assuming you find a shop good enough to test drive :))

DaveW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts