Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up one of these, but I was wondering what the differences are. Aside from price, mileage, warranty, etc. I've heard about the 99 HP problems, but was wondering which one you guys would reccommend, and why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seats are different, the 99's where not make advertised HP so for did a recall (the FIX), If the car had the fix they should be making about the same amount of power. THe rear bumper on the 99's say mustang (I think they have a badge that says cobra on the deck lid), The 2001's have a rea bumper that has CObra on it and you can get polished wheels on the 01's. I also think the interior color is different then the 99's. Indash 6 disk CD are in the 01's. That is all I can think of at this time. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
That about it! I think they may have changed some bushings in the rear end in 01? But dont hold me too it! Either cars kick @$$...I love my 99. Have fun!

·
Registered
399 Posts
01's have a Tremec 3650 transmision versus the T45 for the '99. Not a slam, but based on my 99 versus the 01 I just sold, the 01 body fit is a lot better. I sometimes wondered if my 99 had been wrecked even though it had 12 miles on the speedo when I bought it. The hood had touch up paint and swirly marks from buffing. When I installed springs, I measured my fender heights for a before and after comparison, the left rear fender was .5 inches higher than the right. The rear quarter panel was about .5 inches above the top of the door. The gasket around the windshield was a poor design and many leaked just like mine. The 01 seats are ten times better than the 99 seats. If you have the dough, go with an 01.

As far as power, it felt like my 99 had more torque just off the line but the 01 was a lot stouter from 3000 rpm on up. Both cars were very fun to drive especially with gears and exhaust.

Just Sold!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ford upgraded the 1999 28-spline half-shafts to 31-spline for the 2001. They also dumped the double-elbow air intake for a smoother single elbow in 01.

Go with the 01. Ford made some nice improvements, as listed in the thread. Also, you will not have the 1999 stigma when you try to resell.

But at this point in the game, get an 03!

·
Registered
111 Posts
BadBud said:
Ford upgraded the 1999 28-spline half-shafts to 31-spline for the 2001. They also dumped the double-elbow air intake for a smoother single elbow in 01.

Go with the 01. Ford made some nice improvements, as listed in the thread. Also, you will not have the 1999 stigma when you try to resell.

But at this point in the game, get an 03!
You wont have to deal with the 1999 Stigma ?? What about the pinging 2001's

·
Registered
489 Posts
99VenomSVT said:

Apparently nothing, compared to Ford's 1999 Cobra f***-up.

No flame intended.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
99VenomSVT said:

Mine runs great. no ping here.

Adding to your question:

01 had upgraded half-shafts
01 had the aluminum block further reinforced
01 had upgraded interior
01 typically (supposedly) dynoed a little higher than advertised (rumors i've heard, but i'm guessing mine sure didn't dyno high)

can't lose with either one. But I seriously disliked the 99 seats!

·
Registered
295 Posts
One thing not apparently mentioned (unless I missed it) was the new for 01 smoked headlights. Definitely sharp on the 01 Cobra.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts