Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
nitz said:
How are you retarding your timing?
Randy, could you not use the timing adjuster or MSD to retard timing? I have the MSD 4 and I believe that you can retard/advance timing with it but not sure if they make it for the 99+ although I assume so.....

Back up to the top for ya................

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning on using the Steeda timing adjuster, but I just wanted to see what others were using. Heh, actually, I think the T/A is the only option, so..

MSD doesn't have anything for 99+ yet. I was told by a NOS tech that MSD IS in fact developing a retard for these cars.

If I were going to use the standard 150shot kit, I wouldn't even need to worry about it (according to the tech). He said that when they did their test on a 99GT that produced 385hp with the 150shot, they didn't retard the timing. However for higher HP levels, some sort of timing adjustment would be needed.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I was told by a NOS tech that MSD IS in fact developing a retard for these cars.
Muahahahahahahaha... that is funny. MSD is developing that?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1BadAzzGT said:

Muahahahahahahaha... that is funny. MSD is developing that?
ROFL! I knew someone would jump on that. The minute I typed the period I was just waiting for someone to catch that.
And YES I must be a retard for sinking my $$ into this damn car! :mad:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Randy, did you change your mind again?

Ed

·
Registered
636 Posts
nitz said:
I am planning on using the Steeda timing adjuster, but I just wanted to see what others were using. Heh, actually, I think the T/A is the only option, so..

MSD doesn't have anything for 99+ yet. I was told by a NOS tech that MSD IS in fact developing a retard for these cars.

If I were going to use the standard 150shot kit, I wouldn't even need to worry about it (according to the tech). He said that when they did their test on a 99GT that produced 385hp with the 150shot, they didn't retard the timing. However for higher HP levels, some sort of timing adjustment would be needed.
RavenGT and some of the gang are checking into the MAFterburner unit. It won't retard your timing any, but after reading some info on the website, it seems like their approach to modifying the fuel map might make things a bit safer for a high hp nitrous setup.

Sorry, I know it's a little off-topic, but I did use the word nitrous...:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edward Clark said:
Randy, did you change your mind again?

Ed
heh, you know me.. :eek:
I think it might be my final decision though. It just makes more sense from a financial stand point. I already have the supercharger, but there is a lot more I need to get to make it work the way that I want it to.
Who knows.. I might wake up tomorrow and change my mind AGAIN :)
Help me Ed.. :( Give me a beatin' or something!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I wish I could Randy. I'm on a quest to see just what I can do with a small blower and a stock motor! Mainly because it's all I can afford right now! Hopefully that will change soon.

Good luck with your project though. Nitrous really is a good option for the track. It does seem to produce better times for less money.

Ed

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Edward Clark said:
I wish I could Randy.
Ed
You wish you could give me a beatin', or help me? LOL! j/k

Yeah, the NOSzle kit seems like a very sweet setup. The problem I'm running into now is I can't find anyone that's actually used the 300shot. I even called NOS and the tech was like "uhh, we've only tested the 150 shot." They did this on a 99GT all stock and got 385hp. The tech told me that they didn't touch the timing at all, nor did they use a chip.. WTF? I don't understand how they pulled that off, unless they made one dyno pass and blew the thing up..
He did give me some good advice though. It was based on theory, but still good advice. It should be interesting. I'm basically trying to find out if I need to go back to all stock stuff ie: 19# injectors, stock MAF, etc. If I do a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous, I won't have to worry about feeding fuel to the motor via bigger injectors, bigger pump, etc.

BTW- don't let that 300shot fool ya. SInce my compression is so low, the motor should handle that 300shot just fine (according to the tech). Of course it's going to be a dog on motor alone :( but with the low compression I stand to lose a few horsepower hence the need for such a juicy shot.

Anyone want a set of brand new 18cc forged Ross pistons? :joy:
I could always go to a 10cc.. hmm. DAMNIT! DOnt mind me.. just thinking out loud. :D

You seem to be doing good with your project, Ed!!! Keep up the good work man. I can't wait to see what you squeeze out of that thing this season!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm using the same JMS/Compucar setup that BADPONY has. JMS supplies an autologic chip with 4 programs, 2 motor and 2 nitrous and basically a bottle in bag kit from Compucar which is a dry kit. He's been using a 125 shot but I haven't went past a 100 shot until dynoing the car to see where the A/F is at. I wouldn't recommend spraying above a 30 shot unless the timing is retarded....the motor won't last. I am also running a MSD window switch and WOT switch.

·
Registered
523 Posts
/me thinking/i wish i had the money to take that novi off his hands :evil: /thinkin/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts